[SOLVED] my computer should be capable of 1GB the internet speed I pay for, but it fails to get above 90Mb, any ideas as to why?

Oct 10, 2020
So, as stated in the title I have 1Gb internet, my PC motherboard's networking port should be capable of dealing with those speeds, yet it fails to reach them, even when connected directly to the modem. While the PC is connected via a very long cable, it's of the cat6e flavour, and aught to be able to transfer at least half of the gigabit speeds, even at 45 feet long, yet it does not. The thing that really boggles my mind, is that when i bring the router I use for wifi and have the computer itself recieving ethernet from into my computer room, connect it to the computer via the same 2 cables, the long cable to receive internet from the modem, and connected to my PC via the short cable used to connect the router to said modem when it's in the basement, I get nearly the full force of the connection, roughly 700 Mb. The only real difference is the location of the router, is there any reason why that might be? any way I can fix it?

other pertinent information:
  • ISP: Distributel
  • Router make/model: Netgear ac1750
  • Modem: technicolour TC4400 AM
  • # of devices: 3-4 phones 1-2 laptops, my PC via ethernet
  • Motherboard/w networking port: Gigabyte x570 gaming X
  • PSU: Fractal design ION 860+
  • OS/drivers: windows 10 /w what device manager tells me are the latest drivers (Realtek gaming GbE family controller 10.36.701.2019)
  • no NAS, nor am i using a switch
I'd really appreciate any help, or ideas as to what the hell is goin' on, thanks!

Solution
The cable length should not make any difference. Etheretnet is rated to 100 meters at gigabit.

The first thing I would check is that you have actual ethernet cables and not the fake crap. There is no such thing as cat6e. There is cat6 which is no faster than cat5e and cat6a which is can run 10gbit BUT only when you connect it to 10gbit ports it still only runs at 1gbit when connected to 1gbit ports.

What you are looking for is your cable must be pure copper no CCA cables. It must also have wire size 22-24. None of that flat or thin cable has proper wire size. Both CCA and small wires will cause the cable to take errors and you will get less throughput.

After that it gets complex fast because there are many...
The cable length should not make any difference. Etheretnet is rated to 100 meters at gigabit.

The first thing I would check is that you have actual ethernet cables and not the fake crap. There is no such thing as cat6e. There is cat6 which is no faster than cat5e and cat6a which is can run 10gbit BUT only when you connect it to 10gbit ports it still only runs at 1gbit when connected to 1gbit ports.

What you are looking for is your cable must be pure copper no CCA cables. It must also have wire size 22-24. None of that flat or thin cable has proper wire size. Both CCA and small wires will cause the cable to take errors and you will get less throughput.

After that it gets complex fast because there are many things that can affect the transfer speeds. You best first test is to load a old line mode tool called IPERF on 2 of your machines. You should get test results of 900+mbps in both directions. This is a extremely simple program that is not affected by things like cpu,memory or disk. It only tests the network hardware and drivers pretty much.

Solution
Oct 10, 2020

After that it gets complex fast because there are many things that can affect the transfer speeds. You best first test is to load a old line mode tool called IPERF on 2 of your machines. You should get test results of 900+mbps in both directions. This is a extremely simple program that is not affected by things like cpu,memory or disk. It only tests the network hardware and drivers pretty much.
i'm using monoprice cables, and as stated in the post, i've tested the same cables, just used in a slightly different configuration and gotten roughly the full speeds, so i doubt the cables are the problem, I'll definitely try IPERF, though, thanks

Oct 10, 2020
Eventually you should upgrade your router anyways, I don't believe the R6400 is capable of gigabit WAN speeds. Perhaps it's time to buy a new gigabit internet capable router and use the R6400 as a secondary access point?
according to the box it's capable of up to 1485 MbPS WAN, through 5GHZ, but the wifi speed ain't really something i care about

I'm talking about WAN, not WLAN. The WAN is the internet port that connects to your modem. I know the R7000 router is only capable of about 600mbps on the WAN. The NAT controller is the bottleneck. So I'd imagine the R6400 is about the same or worse.

Internally inside your home, you don't need NAT to communicate between devices, so you can get the fill gigabit speed of your switch or WLAN antenna's.

I'm talking about WAN, not WLAN. The WAN is the internet port that connects to your modem. I know the R7000 router is only capable of about 600mbps on the WAN. The NAT controller is the bottleneck. So I'd imagine the R6400 is about the same or worse.

Internally inside your home, you don't need NAT to communicate between devices, so you can get the fill gigabit speed of your switch or WLAN antenna's.
There is a lot of misinformation here.

First of all, the R6400 is plenty fast to delivery 90Mbps+ which is the OP's problem. Second of all, NAT is not involved between connections on the LAN side of any consumer router as it is a hardware switch.

There is a lot of misinformation here.

First of all, the R6400 is plenty fast to delivery 90Mbps+ which is the OP's problem. Second of all, NAT is not involved between connections on the LAN side of any consumer router as it is a hardware switch.

Zero misinformation. You might want to read both my posts. The OP does have a gigabit internet plan and the R6400 is only capable of about 500mbps.

On my second post, I said NAT is NOT used for the local network, so interally it is capable of gigabit through the switch and wlan.

I never said it would solve their problem of 90mbps, other than getting a better router which they should do anyways.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS