Question My computer shut off now won't post.

Jul 5, 2023
Hello. Ok so I was playing a video game when the surge protector I had my computer plugged into (also an AC window unit) I know not bright, but the surge protector popped. When I turned it back on and pressed power on my computer it came on for about 2-3 second then went off again. I have stripped down the computer and I have tested in case and out of case. I have gotten it to run longer maybe about 30 seconds but when it does only the CPU fan and power supply fan run not the case fans. And when it runs for the 30 seconds no post. So I need to try and figure out what happend but I'm not sure how to narrow down what needs to be replaced. My plane is to buy a new power supply and try it first before I buy a new board and CPU.

Specs as I can remember because I am at work ATM.

ASrock B365M Pro4
I5 9400 CPU
And a cheap 500 watt power supply.

Edit. I am thinking it's the power supply but the fact that it is lighting up the board some and it's not completely dead maybe not? I'm not sure how common it is for a power supply to only work like half way. Any info here would be great. Thank you for reading.
If you need any more spec info I will be able to give it when I get off work.

Some component is probably dead. Your best option is to take it to a shop that have all the components to test which one of yours is dead so that you dont waste time buying random things. The PSU may be dead and you might be right but if you're not, you have 2 usable PSUs(Although I personally wouldn't keep using a PSU that failed to protect my PC once) and the mystery dead component remains a mystery.

It is common for defective/damaged PSUs give power for a second or two and then shutting off. BUT I had a GPU that once died and that problem showed a similar symptom.

TRENDING THREADS