Samsung 850-Series EVO 250GB
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 Vengeance
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX DC3 Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.7 GHz 20MB
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
EVGA GQ 650W
Corsair Carbide 200R
oh and i also have a HDD 4TB

Hello everyone, been searching for the solution to my problem for quite a while but never really found a solution that worked, been looking in this forum alot in different threads but can't find any solution or the solution is beyond my capabilites and since I don't wanna hijack anyones thread I thought I'd make my own so here goes.

So if I play a newer game it's fine for a while ususally around 20min than all of a sudden my screen goes black my mouse and keyboard lights turns off and my graphic card is lighting up in different colours every 2 second (it goes dark, lights up, goes dark, lights up and so forth.) I have to hold down the power button to forcefully restart it.

When i restart most often than not my computer starts to boot, shuts down, start booting up again, shuts down. Usually 2-3 times and it happens within the first few seconds of starting up, but sometimes it starts on the first try, note that i don't manually restart it when this happens, the pc does it all by itself.

I have downloaded the software OCCT and can make the error appear when i stress test it through that software, but I don't know how to interpret the data it gives me it all looks fine to me. Been looking in the event viewer as well and found alot of different errors but not sure if they are related to the problem. I get Event id: 41, 172, 35 and 55. I don't know what could be wrong, I'm guessing the PSU maybe but not sure. Can someone please help me on what to do next? The computer is about 2.5 years old if that matters.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Ran the test for a total of 30+ minutes without crash so I think the problem is gone. Big thank you for the help so far, tweaking memory frequencies sounds really advanced but I'm happy to try and learn.

Well you need to find out what are the memory timings of your modules... it is usually written on the stick itself... yours is a CL15 kit so it should be written like in this example: 15-17-17-35(15 should be first since it's CL15, but the others maybe different to the ones from my example). If you don't want to go through all this, just give me a link with the kit you've bought.

In your BIOS you need to switch to manual and set the memory(DRAM) frequency to 2800 MHz, DRAM Voltage to 1.35V and the memory timings to the ones...
Mar 24, 2020
Do you have any overclocks? revert to stock if you do.
Also, disable XMP/DOCP from your BIOS.
To revert everything to stock in one go, load optimal defaults from your BIOS or clear CMOS.

Thank you for the reply. I haven't overclocked it myself since I selected my own parts but a company built it for me. Not totally sure how to find out if it's overclocked or not. I disabled the DOCP in BIOS as you said. I will stress test it right now to see if anything has changed. Thank you and I will post my results shortly.

Mar 24, 2020
So I ran the stress test again after reverting to default settings in BIOS and I can't say for sure yet but I ran the test for about 15min with no crash, usually it crashes between 5-10min. Thank you very much and I will post again when I've tried it for longer.

So I ran the stress test again after reverting to default settings in BIOS and I can't say for sure yet but I ran the test for about 15min with no crash, usually it crashes between 5-10min. Thank you very much and I will post again when I've tried it for longer.

Ok... update the tread when you're done with the tests.
If it works fine with DOCP disabled, we can tweak the memory frequency and timings.

First gen ryzen CPUs(like yours) are picky when it comes to higher frequency memory.

Mar 24, 2020
Ok... update the tread when you're done with the tests.
If it works fine with DOCP disabled, we can tweak the memory frequency and timings.

First gen ryzen CPUs(like yours) are picky when it comes to higher frequency memory.

Ran the test for a total of 30+ minutes without crash so I think the problem is gone. Big thank you for the help so far, tweaking memory frequencies sounds really advanced but I'm happy to try and learn.

Well you need to find out what are the memory timings of your modules... it is usually written on the stick itself... yours is a CL15 kit so it should be written like in this example: 15-17-17-35(15 should be first since it's CL15, but the others maybe different to the ones from my example). If you don't want to go through all this, just give me a link with the kit you've bought.

In your BIOS you need to switch to manual and set the memory(DRAM) frequency to 2800 MHz, DRAM Voltage to 1.35V and the memory timings to the ones written on your module. With these settings I just set everything the same as in the DOCP profile except the memory frequency which is lowered to 2800 from 3000 MHz... 3000 MHz isn't stable so we'll just try to lower it a bit. The difference between 3000 and 2800 should be minimal.

After, you make those settings test again to see if it's stable.

Solution
Mar 24, 2020

In your BIOS you need to switch to manual and set the memory(DRAM) frequency to 2800 MHz, DRAM Voltage to 1.35V and the memory timings to the ones written on your module. With these settings I just set everything the same as in the DOCP profile except the memory frequency which is lowered to 2800 from 3000 MHz... 3000 MHz isn't stable so we'll just try to lower it a bit. The difference between 3000 and 2800 should be minimal.

After, you make those settings test again to see if it's stable.

I did all the things you told me, memory frequency is set to 2800MHz, DRAM Voltage to 1.35V and the memory timing is 15-17-17-35 (I checked on the stick). I'm 20min in to the stress test without any problems, I also did OCCT's memory test and no errors was reported. You Sir deserve a medal! Thank you for your time and help.

Reactions: ChumP
I did all the things you told me, memory frequency is set to 2800MHz, DRAM Voltage to 1.35V and the memory timing is 15-17-17-35 (I checked on the stick). I'm 20min in to the stress test without any problems, I also did OCCT's memory test and no errors was reported. You Sir deserve a medal! Thank you for your time and help.

You'll need to test your system for extensive periods of time too... just to be sure that is completely stable.
You should let memtest86 run overnight, and leave OCCT run for 1-2 hours.

TRENDING THREADS