my computer smell like fire help

ithelps

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
this is my build and i use the evo 212 fan http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YbNQBm

I am not sure what is wrong but a couple days ago i saw a fan error upon startup and i ignored It. Then vouple hours later i smell burning astuc comung from my desktop. I was too lazy to open it up and today it happened again. I turned it off and plan to inspect it later. But udk what to look for and idk how to fix it. Can anyone help.

If my psu is the problem or mb or gfx card is the problem. Will warranty cover this? Or will i need to go out and buy a new one?

Solution
It shouldn't be overheating. The only other think I can think of for a burning smell might be from excessive dust inside the case that could be getting burnt if it hasn't been cleaned in quite a while. Cigarette smoking done in front of the computer could cause the smell too.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Sounds like something fried on the system, not a good sign. When you take it apart, you will need to smell each component to see which one smells like it is fried. Also, you may be able to see burnt traces or bulged capacitors if it's the motherboard or video card.

With warranties, it's hard to say since each company has different policies. I will however mention that a Power Supply warranty won't cover damage caused to a motherboard, or any other situation as such between the parts.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
It shouldn't be overheating. The only other think I can think of for a burning smell might be from excessive dust inside the case that could be getting burnt if it hasn't been cleaned in quite a while. Cigarette smoking done in front of the computer could cause the smell too.

Solution

ithelps

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
Maybe its burning dust? I took the cover off so when it starts to stink, ima smell it and detect where it coming from. Right now thr scent is weak so idk where it coming from