Question My computer smells like mould

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Happy new year, everyone. I’ve got a bit of a problem.

My PC has had a nasty odour, on and off. I’m currently sleeping in a spare bedroom and my PC has been left unplugged in the same place while renovation is going on in my own room. I recently noticed the odour, it’s sour and musty. After leaving the window open overnight, it disappears but returns when the window is closed again. Currently, it’s in the living room and remains odour free.

Any thoughts? The PC is practically brand new. The PSU was a recent purchase and hasn’t been turned on at all. I’m aware PSUs and cabling are known to attract and retain odours very easily if left in a smelly place. My only hunch is a winter coat that’s been hanging nearby. It gets damp from wearing outside sometimes but would be dry after a few hours. Surely a single garment wouldn’t cause mould or mildew to grow so spontaneously?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: wet clothing can get very smelly, moldy, etc. Mold just goes dormant when host garment dries.

Move the coat somewhere else - into bright sun if possible.

All in all the coat will likely need professional cleaning.

Doubt that the PC is the cause/source. Caveat being if the PC is full of dust and debris. If so, clean before using the PC again.

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Yes: wet clothing can get very smelly, moldy, etc. Mold just goes dormant when host garment dries.

Move the coat somewhere else - into bright sun if possible.

All in all the coat will likely need professional cleaning.

Doubt that the PC is the cause/source. Caveat being if the PC is full of dust and debris. If so, clean before using the PC again.

That’s exactly what I plan on doing. The dry cleaners will be open after new year and, to be cautious, I’ll be hauling all of them to be cleaned.

My only other concern is that the fabric lining on the PSU and fan cables might have started growing mould/mildew. The logical side of me says that this is unlikely. A single, slightly wet garment wouldn’t release enough moisture into the surroundings to do that. I’m thinking VOCs (volatile organic compounds) from the mould source is to blame. VOCs from mould are the cause of that mouldy smell and that’s why the PC smells? 🤔

Ralston18

Titan
Who knows what kind of materials are being used to insulate and/or line cables etc....

The only way to know is to open up the computer and inspect.

Look for mould.

I would wear a mask and use a bright flashlight.

If the PC is full of dust and debris then clean accordingly.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Do so outside and in the sun if possible. Use canned air to blow out dust.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions. Do not allow the fans to spin as that can damage bearings.

Hopefully the cleaning will remove any residual odors.