MY COMPUTER STOPS DETECTING THE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE..PLEASE HELP!

MARY22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hello,
I have a hp simple save external hard drive T1 .
I was working nice but suddenly my computer can not detect it. I change the clable but nothing happens...The blue light in the hard drive is on but when I try to open it from my deskopt it says in unavailable.
PLEASE HELP ME!!! I have all my kid's picture in there...
What could I do???
Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure your external drive is connected to its external power source (if required) and connected to your PC, then restart the system to see if it will detect the harddisk once it starts back up. If this doesn't work, come back to the group for other possible solutions.

MARY22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
It is connected to its external power source and also to the computer...
I tried with a different cable but there is no difference...
I don't know what else to do. It was working properly but all of a sudden I was not able to open the simpleSave icon and it says "the drive or network is unavailable. Make sure the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again" but I tried a lot ( connect it again, restart the PC, etc) and nothing happened.

MARY22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I also tried connect it to a different USB port but nothing... If i connect my camera or something else to that USB port, it works fine but the computer is not able to read the external hard drive...

I would really appreciate any help with it...
thanks!

If you're trying to open it from a desktop shortcut, it may be corrupted (the shortcut). Go in "My Computer" and open it from there.

Eee88ooe55

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
It seems that it is the problem of your hard drive. Does assigning a letter fix the problem?
If not, your drive must be corrupted. Go try a free hard drive recovery tool to get back your inner data and format it to see whether it can be recovered. This freeware is really efficient and easy to operate.
You could download it there: http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-repair-corrupted-pen-drive.html
Note: You’d better buy a new drive to replace it in case this situation happens again.
You should learn a valuable lesson to back up all your crucial data on a separate drive regularly in the future.