[SOLVED] My computer takes over and hour to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hudsonacreman

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
My computer used to load in less than a minute or two, which is not exactly the best, but it was acceptable, however as I tried to access my computer the other day, it would not load at all. My solution to that was to turn it off and try again the next day. It ended up working the day after but had an unreasonable boot time. I had the same problem two days ago, and I thought the solution would be the same so I tried to reset a few times and then just shut it off, but when I tried to turn it back on, it took over a half hour in order to open google chrome from when I unlocked the computer. Today was even worse, I turned on the computer, and my mouse was frozen in place and none of my keys responded, then after 15 it finally let me type in my password, but every keystroke was not registered for a solid minute. As soon as I pressed enter, the whole screen went black and does not respond to everything. I checked the HDMI cable about the dark display but it didn't seem to do anything. I am being led to believe this is a problem with the Hard drive. I have a Seagate blue 1 TB hard drive that has worked fine for the year and a half I have had it.
Additionally, as I was typing this, the computer turned on but there is only the wallpaper with the taskbar, but no icons on the desktop or on the taskbar. This was after I had turned on the computer about 40 minutes ago. If anyone could help me fix this, any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
Given that something has gone massively wrong, it may well turn out to be be a physical hdd issue. If you haven't backed up you important stuff on that pc, I would recommend that if it works now, but is slow.... Pull the important stuff you want off that hard drive, no matter if it takes 24 hours or whatever.... Just get the important stuff off it and then try to mirror the drive with macrium reflect or something..... if you have a storage option separate from that drive like an external hdd or another storage device in your pc.... Worst case scenario with the problem you've got.... If it's software based and the hdd is actually fine, A fresh windows install is easy.....If you load a fresh install that doesn't work, It's gonna be the...

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
I does sound like an hdd issue. But odd for it to be with such a new one. Open task manager if you can and see how long hdd usage stays at 100%. And make sure nothing else is at 100%.

hudsonacreman

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

I opened task manager (which took 4 minutes just to open) and it was a constant 100% usage. The most any application was using was 0.4 Mbp/s which confuses me because that is basically nothing.

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
It's a windows pc I'm assuming? Was anything else really high like 70+%? Like cpu usage or ram? And is the hdd making any funky noises? They usually show 100% until everything is loaded.

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
Did you try to do the windows fix options.... Restore from your last back up etc....And there are others in that menu you can pursue as well on that front.....It might just be a software boot issue rather than a manufacturing hd defect......

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
Given that something has gone massively wrong, it may well turn out to be be a physical hdd issue. If you haven't backed up you important stuff on that pc, I would recommend that if it works now, but is slow.... Pull the important stuff you want off that hard drive, no matter if it takes 24 hours or whatever.... Just get the important stuff off it and then try to mirror the drive with macrium reflect or something..... if you have a storage option separate from that drive like an external hdd or another storage device in your pc.... Worst case scenario with the problem you've got.... If it's software based and the hdd is actually fine, A fresh windows install is easy.....If you load a fresh install that doesn't work, It's gonna be the hdd.... The fact the pc is running windows(no matter how slowly) suggests your other hardware is working fine..... A cpu for example that was overtemp for some reason would not let you run the pc for an hour, so you can be confident I think your main hardware is ok(Obvoiusly apart from the hdd)....

Hope this helps.....

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.