Question My computer turns on but display, mouse, and keyboard all don't work

roiiitrustermate

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
So a few days ago, I noticed that my LED strip (connected to my pc) was off, that was unusual, so I turned on my pc, and to my surprise, the monitor displayed no signal, and none of the connected devices like my mouse and keyboard lit up, the cpu, gpu, and case fans however were all working indicating that the pc was clearly on. I tried all the basic troubleshooting steps like disconnecting it from the power and hard rebooting but nothing worked, then I started looking at posts online for a fix and it suddenly started working, without me doing anything (it had been turned on for minutes but suddenly started functioning fully)

Yesterday I booted it up, and the same issue happened, so I decided to reset the bios using the jumper pins and then when I turned it on it worked. (I've tried doing that again though but it didn't work, so I really don't think it's a motherboard issue.)

Today, again, the same issue is happening, what's going on? Why does it keep doing this and how do I fix it?

(It's a 5 year old build, the motherboard is an ASRock P65icafe, PSU is a Huntkey LW-6550HG

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That you see GPU lights and fans does not mean everything is working.

Let's start with full specs. You've only given us a motherboard and a PSU.

The PSU is an obvious suspect given that it's a bottom-tier PSU that should never be used under any circumstances.

roiiitrustermate

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
That you see GPU lights and fans does not mean everything is working.

Let's start with full specs. You've only given us a motherboard and a PSU.

The PSU is an obvious suspect given that it's a bottom-tier PSU that should never be used under any circumstances.
The specs are:
Motherboard: P65iCafe
RAM: Hyperx DDR3 8gb ram
GPU: Nvidia 1050Ti
CPU: i7 3770
PSU: huntkey lw-6550hg

Also I don't understand what's wrong with this PSU, it's been working really well for more than 4 years

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The specs are:
Motherboard: P65iCafe
RAM: Hyperx DDR3 8gb ram
GPU: Nvidia 1050Ti
CPU: i7 3770
PSU: huntkey lw-6550hg

Also I don't understand what's wrong with this PSU, it's been working really well for more than 4 years

How would you know the PSU has been working really well? Whether a PSU functionally runs or not is not a diagnostic. Junk PSUs are known for blowing up -- including this exact model -- but junk PSUs also slowly damage components over the years, like eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning will slowly damage your health, even if the effects are not apparent immediately.

The only way one knows if a PSU has been working really well involves using a load tester and oscilloscope. If you have run these tests, you can post screenshots on imgur or any photo-hosting site and link the diagnostics here for us to review.

The PSU should never have been used and you have some kind of issue powering parts properly, so replacing the PSU with a working one of at least minimal quality is the obvious next step.

roiiitrustermate

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
How would you know the PSU has been working really well? Whether a PSU functionally runs or not is not a diagnostic. Junk PSUs are known for blowing up -- including this exact model -- but junk PSUs also slowly damage components over the years, like eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning will slowly damage your health, even if the effects are not apparent immediately.

The only way one knows if a PSU has been working really well involves using a load tester and oscilloscope. If you have run these tests, you can post screenshots on imgur or any photo-hosting site and link the diagnostics here for us to review.

The PSU should never have been used and you have some kind of issue powering parts properly, so replacing the PSU with a working one of at least minimal quality is the obvious next step.
Sure, I appreciate the advice and I will replace the power supply soon, but how do I troubleshoot this particular issue? Because for all I know it could be something other than the PSU

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Sure, I appreciate the advice and I will replace the power supply soon, but how do I troubleshoot this particular issue? Because for all I know it could be something other than the PSU

Unless you have another rig to test parts in, PSU replacement is the next step period. Even if the PSU still appears functional and other parts are damaged, the PSU is the most likely cause of that damage. Unless you have an oscilloscope and load tester, this PSU can never be trusted again to be connected to anything you value, nor should it ever have been in the first place.

Reactions: roiiitrustermate
Nov 15, 2022
Unless you have another rig to test parts in, PSU replacement is the next step period. Even if the PSU still appears functional and other parts are damaged, the PSU is the most likely cause of that damage. Unless you have an oscilloscope and load tester, this PSU can never be trusted again to be connected to anything you value, nor should it ever have been in the first place.
Where do you plug the devices in, the back of the pc or the front?

TRENDING THREADS