Question My Computer turns on for a split second, then immediately turns off.

Oct 21, 2021
Hello! I have a computer that is maybe 6 months old, and I was planning to upgrade it. I bought a new graphics card since I wanted to upgrade from my GTX 970 to a GTX 980Ti.

I went on eBay and found a graphics card and bought it. When it arrived, it arrived in its original box, but didn't come with any anti-static bags. I thought that was weird but ignored it.

I took out my GTX 970 and placed it on my table, and I slotted in the GTX 980Ti, plugged in the power cable, and secured it with the screws. I went to go and flick the power supply button on and click my power button, and I saw all of my LED's turn on for a split second and then it had turned off.

I thought that it was a power supply issue and not having enough wattage(I have a 550W PSU). So I went over to my brother's computer and he has a 650W PSU, and I slot it in, plug-in power, secure screws, I click the power button on the case, and it did the exact same thing, flashing on for a second, then immediately turning off, and when I try to click the power button, it does not turn on until I flick the switch on the power supply off then on again.

I troubleshoot and nothing worked. I tried a lot of things and it came to no avail. I came to this website hoping that somebody can help me with my computer issue since I spent so much on the new part.

Also, when I slotted in the GTX 970. it powered on just fine, with LED's and posted to Windows just when I had left it.

My Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF, Stock Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 MAX Gaming
PSU: EVGA 550W Non-Modular Power Supply (100-N1-0550-L1)
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16GB, 3000 MHZ
GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti 6G (3842 4995)
Storage: 250GB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD, 2 TB 7200 RPM Barracuda

Ralston18

Titan
And the entire computer loses power - correct?

My thought is an electrical short....

Probably not thermal but I cannot exclude that,

That said, if the GTX 980Ti is failing on two different known working computers then the GPU is likely damaged/defective.

Are you able to return the GPU to the eBay seller?

Your new GPU is probably doa.

I don't know about the package and if it's a strict need for anti static bags, I assume if the plastic coverage is made in such fashion that you can grab the card in a safe manner (that is only touching a metal surface normally connected to the chassis without touching any parts of the pcb board) it shouldn't be an issue. Impossible to say any conclusive about packaging without photos.

When it comes to the part where you question the power demand of the GPU - that doesn't at this point because it is only in situation in very GPU intensive games/programs that the GPU will have that kind of power demand. Not at boot.

Oct 21, 2021
And the entire computer loses power - correct?

My thought is an electrical short....

Probably not thermal but I cannot exclude that,

That said, if the GTX 980Ti is failing on two different known working computers then the GPU is likely damaged/defective.

Are you able to return the GPU to the eBay seller?
Yes the entire computer loses power, LED's come on for a very quick second, then everything immediately shuts off.

Hopefully, it is not defective/damaged since I paid almost 250 for it.

It says that the seller is not accepting returns, but I did see somewhere on the listing that it was "Covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee".

Oct 21, 2021
Your new GPU is probably doa.

I don't know about the package and if it's a strict need for anti static bags, I assume if the plastic coverage is made in such fashion that you can grab the card in a safe manner (that is only touching a metal surface normally connected to the chassis without touching any parts of the pcb board) it shouldn't be an issue. Impossible to say any conclusive about packaging without photos.

When it comes to the part where you question the power demand of the GPU - that doesn't at this point because it is only in situation in very GPU intensive games/programs that the GPU will have that kind of power demand. Not at boot.
I am not sure. I tried it on his computer and it did that flash thing too. I just really hope it isn't DOA, and it is really painful to go and RMa, since I had to do that for my DOA hard drive.

Oct 21, 2021
It is very condemning that the GPU fails in two computers.

Just to be sure try a third computer if at all possible.

Otherwise invoke the guarantee.

The sooner the better.
Will do. My cousin also has a 650W PSU, but has no GPU. Hopefully, I can see if it works with his computer.

Oct 21, 2021
So, when I was on my bike ride today. I received an email while I was riding.

Image 1
Image 2

I got my refund, and when I went to test it on my cousin's computer with already no GPU, it did the exact same thing. So I am going to keep it, and continue my bidding for another GPU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY