Question My computer went black and wont turn back on

vikkyy

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
Hello!

I was using my computer like normal (nothing intensive that would cause it to overheat) and everything suddenly went black. No glitches before or anything. Everything just suddenly went...black.

Immediately after this happened, I tried to take a look at what was going on inside the system. The first thing I noticed was that the motherboard orange light was still on and blinking like normal. I made sure every cable was plugged in, and just to make sure, I unplugged and replugged every single cable in the system. I tried to turn the system back on and nothing happened. The computer did not POST at all and no fans or any sign of life was spotted. This initially led me to believe it was a PSU issue, but I was not sure. I also know that it could be a motherboard or CPU problem, but I do not know how to go about testing each component to see if it is the culprit.

Note: I opened up the case and looked around the PC and found a lot of dust. I blew into the PSU and a whole bunch of dust came out the bottom. I am not sure if this could be the cause of the issue, but I thought it was important to note.

Here are the specs of my PC just in case that matters: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FFp4Yg

Update: I did a short test on the PSU that I have no idea if it worked. Basically what I did is I unplugged the 24-pin motherboard cable and the motherboard did not have the blinking orange light. But when I replugged it in, the orange light was there again. Does this mean the motherboard is receiving power? Is the PSU not the issue?

Last edited:
Hello!

I was using my computer like normal (nothing intensive that would cause it to overheat) and everything suddenly went black. No glitches before or anything. Everything just suddenly went...black.

Immediately after this happened, I tried to take a look at what was going on inside the system. The first thing I noticed was that the motherboard orange light was still on and blinking like normal. I made sure every cable was plugged in, and just to make sure, I unplugged and replugged every single cable in the system. I tried to turn the system back on and nothing happened. The computer did not POST at all and no fans or any sign of life was spotted. This initially led me to believe it was a PSU issue, but I was not sure. I also know that it could be a motherboard or CPU problem, but I do not know how to go about testing each component to see if it is the culprit.

Note: I opened up the case and looked around the PC and found a lot of dust. I blew into the PSU and a whole bunch of dust came out the bottom. I am not sure if this could be the cause of the issue, but I thought it was important to note.

Here are the specs of my PC just in case that matters: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FFp4Yg

Update: I did a short test on the PSU that I have no idea if it worked. Basically what I did is I unplugged the 24-pin motherboard cable and the motherboard did not have the blinking orange light. But when I replugged it in, the orange light was there again. Does this mean the motherboard is receiving power? Is the PSU not the issue?
There are many power points and voltages to MB. Easiest is to check PSU properly.

vikkyy

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
That "test" proves only that PSU is getting some power and that fan is working, nothing more. Things like this https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK are more comprehensive.
Hello. Something very interesting happened today when I was testing the computer. I unplugged the gpu and moved the ram to a different slot and the system turned on. Fans are spinning and the rgb lights are on. But, the second I try nd plug the 8 pin connector into the gpu, it does the same thing it did before. Does this mean it's the gpu causing the issues? Or could it be the pci slot?

vikkyy

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
Update: I took the computer to a shop and the part that was wrong was the GPU. Sorry for getting back to you so late, just thought I should mention if you were wondering.