My computer will not allow any mouse to work

Jun 30, 2018
I’ve recently been having issues with my gaming rig. Within the last six weeks or so the start up times have been 5-6 times longer. Sometimes my tool bar won’t work. Sometimes I can’t click on anything on my desktop. Sometimes control alt delete won’t open the task manager. Sometimes when I open it I can’t click on it. Fast forward to today when my mouse or any other mouse I try and use will not work.

It all started with a supposed “power surge on the USB ports”. I have an expensive surge protector and had no storms in the area. I kept x’ing out of it and restarting but it kept occurring.

My keyboard and headset work. I tried all the usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports. My mouse actually lights up, the left and right click work. My side buttons work. But the cursor will not move with the mouse. So I thought the laser died.

I bought a wired optical and wireless optical. Neither mouse will work. I reset my bios to the default options. I’ve tried disabling and uninstalling them from the device manager and restarting. I’ve tried to locate and download drivers manually since the Pc claims it can’t find any online. It won’t let me install any drivers. The mice don’t work in safe mode either.

I’ve researched all sorts of “mouse viruses” and couldn’t locate any of them via virus scan nor did I find any of the names in the process list.

At this point I’m out of ideas aside from wiping the hard drive which I don’t want to do as I have seven years of stuff on there. Or using a new hard drive which would also be a pain. I can’t understand how something so simple as a mouse cursor has been so challenging to fix. Please help!

Solution
USB power surge can come from the USB ports not from an outside source. I've seen them happen when people pulled out or put in a USB device a bit crooked, or a static discharge. If you want to see if the issue is physical or some driver issue, see if the mouse works in the BIOS and also try a Linux Live boot disk.
USB power surge can come from the USB ports not from an outside source. I've seen them happen when people pulled out or put in a USB device a bit crooked, or a static discharge. If you want to see if the issue is physical or some driver issue, see if the mouse works in the BIOS and also try a Linux Live boot disk.

Solution