[SOLVED] My Computer will not detect a boot device. Corrupted Hard Drive?

RyanSchleicher

Reputable
Nov 14, 2019
While I was playing a game, my entire computer completely froze up and then after a few minutes of being frozen, it gave me the something went wrong screen. It then proceeded to black-screen and wouldn't start. The Indicator on my motherboard said that it did not detect a drive to boot onto. I have 2 SSDs and a Hard Drive. My OS is installed on one of the SSDs. It will attempt to boot again, and whenever my main SSD is plugged in it wont let me open the BIOS. I have tried switching SATA ports, arranging it so that my main System SSD is in port one but it still will not work. I think that the drive may be corrupted for some reason and that is why it will not stop. I have unplugged my graphics card and plugged it in as well (I had to to access the SATA ports). When I try to boot it says "Something went wrong :(" and attempts to reboot, only to be met with the screen prompting "Reboot and Select proper device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press key." One time when I was able to pull up the BIOS while they were all plugged in and it said that there were all 3 plugged in and detected, but every other time it hasn't detected a single one when he System SSD is connected.

Solution
For starters I would try disconnecting all of the drives and booting from a usb stick with a Linux distro on it. This way you could at least determine if the main hardware of the system is functional. Then I would connect the hdd and see if that's OK, then the non-system ssd and if that's OK lastly connect the suspect system ssd to see what happens then.
For starters I would try disconnecting all of the drives and booting from a usb stick with a Linux distro on it. This way you could at least determine if the main hardware of the system is functional. Then I would connect the hdd and see if that's OK, then the non-system ssd and if that's OK lastly connect the suspect system ssd to see what happens then.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

RyanSchleicher

Reputable
Nov 14, 2019
I ended up just completely unplugging the Original System SSD (As the Windows Install Disc wouldn't even run if it was plugged in) and Wiping and reformatting my other SSD and installing windows on it. After updating and reinstalling all the necessary drivers, everything is working fine now. I still have my original Hard Drive which has all of my unrecoverable files on it, so all worked out. Thank you for the advice though :).