My Computer Will Not Detect My Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 TI

ccook321

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
I have been downloading the latest driver a countless amount of times and I have cleaned Nvidia files with DDU numerous times as well. This is the first PC I have built and all of the parts are new and compatible. My motherboard is a msi B250M PRO-VD. I have tried many things in the BIOS as well with no success. Device Manager does not show my graphics card. I am tearing my hair out.

Solution

ccook321

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

Unfortunately I have tried that multiple times and there are no wires that plug into the GPU besides the HDMI which does not seem to help the problem.

mastarnaab

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

Does the fans spin when you boot up? And what is your psu? 1050 doesn't need mutch power, but since you didn't specify it's good to check. Have you also tried another pci-e port?

Assume the BIOS does not show video, so this is not a windows problem. If you get video through the BIOS but lose it when you go to windows tell us.

Assume your video cable is connected directly to the 1050, not to the MB video socket.

Assume the BIOS video card selection is set to AUTOMATIC, not forced to be either integrated or PCIe.

Do you have a second PC? IF so run the 1050 there.

If you do not have a second PC to test the GPU then RMA it. Electronic do arrive DOA.

ccook321

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

The fans spin for a few seconds immediately after boot up and I have a 500W Corsair PSU. There are no other pci-e ports required with this GPU. After much research and frustration, I have got to the point where my computer detects the GPU as an "other device" which allows me to get through the GPU driver until the installation part, which it fails at. I am not sure what to do at this point.

mastarnaab

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

^^^ Yeah, what he said.

ccook321

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

I am not able to enter the BIOS if I plug my HDMI or DVI cable into my gpu because I receive no signal on my monitor. The only option I receive in the Integrated Graphics is if I want PEG or IGD and I have it set to PEG. I do not have another pc or gpu, so I am in a pickle.

You are fine. You've done the debugging you need to do. The PC parts store where you bought the video card (newegg, amazon, etc) will give you a 1:1 swap of that 1050 ti for the exact same model without any hassle. Very likely the new one will work. Work thru the store where you bought it, not through Gigabyte.

ccook321

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

If that is the best option for me I guess I will have to ask for a refund, I will most likely purchase a different gpu. The fact that the fans on the gpu spin on boot up really bugs me because I feel like there is something else wrong, not the gpu.

Stores tend to be crankier about refunds and swaps to different video cards for obvious reasons. They have a very limited capability to tell if the video card is actually bad vs. someone changed their mind. Sometimes they will refund for store credit when they would not refund for cash. Good luck whatever happens.

ccook321

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

Today I tried using my gpu on a friends computer and it was detected. I am now assuming the problem may be the PCIe slot on my motherboard. What do you think?

mastarnaab

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Today I tried using my gpu on a friends computer and it was detected. I am now assuming the problem may be the PCIe slot on my motherboard. What do you think?
It is possible. Does your board have only one PCIe slot? If it has two, you can try plugging it in there. Otherwise you should try to 1:1 switch the MB.

"Today I tried using my gpu on a friends computer and it was detected. I am now assuming the problem may be the PCIe slot on my motherboard. What do you think?"

Get into your BIOS, Reset your BIOS to defaults (usually one of the function keys does this) , SAVE, and try the video card in your MB again. Make sure it is firmly seated.

If that doesn't work blow the MB video card slot out with compressed air. Try again.

If that doesn't work do as Mastarnaab suggested, try any other slot even one that is 8X or 4X (it will be shorter, if they have an open back it works). Still fails then swap MB.

ccook321

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

My mobo only has one PCIe slot unfortunately.

ccook321

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

I tried resetting the BIOS and it did not work and blowing the slot did not work either. I will try to get a refund. Since I ordered it off Amazon, should I get the refund through Amazon or the brand of the motherboard, MSI?

Through Amazon, much easier. If you've had it too long to return to Amazon then work thru MSI.

Solution