[SOLVED] My computer will not start boot after installing a new motherboard

Oct 20, 2020
Hi. Just installed a new motherboard, CPU and RAM in my computer, and now it will not boot windows. i have been searching the internet and everywhere people are sugesting to check the "UEFI hard disk drive BBS Priorities". However i can't find out where to do it. I have seen screenshots on the MSI website where to find it. However, the option isn't there for me.

The SSD with the OS is visible in BIOS. I have also tried to press F11, the MSI website said i should be able to choose device there. However, I only had the option to open setup.

This is the link to the MSI webpage:

[https://www.msi.com/support/technic...m/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_OS_Entry)

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Plus

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 X

Solution
After removing the drive letter for the empty (E: )(D: ) partition, you can also change the drive letter of the (E: ) partition (the one with files) to (D: ) and that may return your system to the way you had it previously. You might find some shortcuts are broken if you don't make that change too.

RealBeast

Titan
Hi. Just installed a new motherboard, CPU and RAM in my computer, and now it will not boot windows. i have been searching the internet and everywhere people are sugesting to check the "UEFI hard disk drive BBS Priorities". However i can't find out where to do it. I have seen screenshots on the MSI website where to find it. However, the option isn't there for me.

The SSD with the OS is visible in BIOS. I have also tried to press F11, the MSI website said i should be able to choose device there. However, I only had the option to open setup.

This is the link to the MSI webpage:

[https://www.msi.com/support/technic...m/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_OS_Entry)

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Plus

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 X
So you are using an existing Windows 10 installation from another motherboard/CPU, or is this motherboard/CPU identical?

Oct 20, 2020
So you are using an existing Windows 10 installation from another motherboard/CPU, or is this motherboard/CPU identical?

It is a existing installation of windows 10 from another cpu and motherboard. So i know i will probably have to reactivate windows (i have read the article on this from microsoft). The problem ist that when starting up i go straight to BIOS, i dont know how to make it boot up from the SSD with windows.

USAFRet

Titan
It is a existing installation of windows 10 from another cpu and motherboard. So i know i will probably have to reactivate windows (i have read the article on this from microsoft). The problem ist that when starting up i go straight to BIOS, i dont know how to make it boot up from the SSD with windows.
A new motherboard generally requires a fresh OS install.

What specific drive(s) are involved here?

Reactions: kurdtnz

RealBeast

Titan
You can go into the bios advanced and select the option to secure erase your SSD, then install to the unallocated drive. Note: all data will be lost.

Your manual documents the details, but then the drive will be available to install. That's the quickest way to solve this issue.

Reactions: Lamagri
Oct 20, 2020
I first built the computer in 2013 or 2015 i think. I recantly destroyed my old cpu. This is the first time instaling new motherboard, CPU and RAM since first build.

I have 1 HDD and 1SSD. The OS is on the SSD. Both storage devices has been ther since first build.

USAFRet

Titan
I first built the computer in 2013 or 2015 i think. I recantly destroyed my old cpu. This is the first time instaling new motherboard, CPU and RAM since first build.

I have 1 HDD and 1SSD. The OS is on the SSD. Both storage devices has been ther since first build.
Coming from a 2013-2015 system to a new Ryzen 5...a fresh OS install is needed.
Full wipe and reinstall on the SSD.

Which OS is it. 7. 10, other?

Reactions: kurdtnz and Lamagri
Oct 20, 2020
It is windows 10, i have used the computer semi-regulary (recently staring using it alot after 2-3 years of using it sparingly). Will i loose everythinf on the SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
It is windows 10, i have used the computer semi-regulary (recently staring using it alot after 2-3 years of using it sparingly). Will i loose everythinf on the SSD?
Yes.
Any personal data you wish to keep, save that elsewhere first.

Reactions: kurdtnz and Lamagri
Oct 20, 2020
Yes.
Any personal data you wish to keep, save that elsewhere first.

The problem is that I have no way to access this data. The parts i have replaced where replaced because they where borken. And I do not have another computer to access the data. Is there any way of dooing this without loosing the data?

Do i need to buy a new lisence of windows 10? Or can i use my existing lisence?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020
DO you have any other hard drive around?
If so, use that as a temporary OS install, then retrieve what data you want from the SSD.
Then you do an install on the SSD.

For the license...maybe, maybe not. Where did it come from initially?
I do not have a clean harddrive. So i think i just have to accept that the data is lost. I dont think there is much important on the SSD as i have tried to save most things to the HDD. However I am not sure.

The lisence came from a disk bought from a techshop.

Oct 20, 2020
Do you still have that disk with the license key printed on the package?
I am not sure. I do not have it here. I have moved out from my parents since building the computer. I will have dem check if it is in their house.

I am guessing that if I don't have it, I will need to buy a new one.
What do if I find it? Is it then posible to reactivate it?

Also, does it matter that it was for Windows 8.1?

The problem ist that when starting up i go straight to BIOS, i dont know how to make it boot up from the SSD with windows.
It means, system is trying to find UEFI boot source, doesn't find it and goes into BIOS.

While I agree, that clean windows install most likely is unavoidable here ...

You might be able to boot your existing windows on new hardware.
Note - BSODs/crashes, inferior performance and windows activation problems will likely still be there until you reinstall.

To boot your system, in BIOS
enable CSM (compatibility support module) and​
set storage boot control to legacy,​
make sure sata controller mode is set to ahci.​
If you have trouble locating those options in BIOS, post some photos of your BIOS screens.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Oct 20, 2020
It means, system is trying to find UEFI boot source, doesn't find it and goes into BIOS.

While I agree, that clean windows install most likely is unavoidable here ...

You might be able to boot your existing windows on new hardware.
Note - BSODs/crashes, inferior performance and windows activation problems will likely still be there until you reinstall.

To boot your system, in BIOS
enable CSM (compatibility support module) and​
set storage boot control to legacy,​
make sure sata controller mode is set to ahci.​
If you have trouble locating those options in BIOS, post some photos of your BIOS screens.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I followed what you said, and I think it worked, however I now have a new problem.
I am starting to think i just have to bite it and do a fresh install of windows and wipe the SSD.

View: http://imgur.com/gallery/KjmxTIp

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020
Ok, so I went ahed and did a clean install of windows. The guide told me to remove all but the drive i wanted to install windows on. Can i just plug the other drives in now and it wil work, or will this screw things up?

Ok, so I went ahed and did a clean install of windows. The guide told me to remove all but the drive i wanted to install windows on. Can i just plug the other drives in now and it wil work, or will this screw things up?
Once you've installed Windows you can shut down and connect additional drives.

Do you know if the additional drives have bootable partitions on any of them? If so, you may have to tell BIOS which drive to look at first for the bootable UEFI partition just so it won't get confused. There's usually a 'boot sequence' or 'boot order' screen in BIOS for doing that.

Oct 20, 2020
Once you've installed Windows you can shut down and connect additional drives.

Do you know if the additional drives have bootable partitions on any of them? If so, you may have to tell BIOS which drive to look at first for the bootable UEFI partition just so it won't get confused. There's usually a 'boot sequence' or 'boot order' screen in BIOS for doing that.
I am not sure what bootable partitipns are. The additional drive jas never had the OS installed to it.

I am not sure what bootable partitipns are. The additional drive jas never had the OS installed to it.
Then it probably won't have a bootable partition on it. So UEFI will find only the bootable UEFI partition on the drive you just installed the OS on and you're good to go!

One thing you might have to do, though, is give the new drive a drive letter from within Windows. You can do that by typing Drive Manager in Cortana search.