Dec 26, 2022
My desktop computer will not boot. I’ve had it for less than two years, it has (I believe) Windows 10, and when I try to boot it, past the ASUS screen, I get a black screen with the blinking dash in the top left corner. I’m wondering if my hard drive is going undetected. How would I figure that out? And if it is undetected, can I unplug and replug the same HDD without having to reprogram my device, like, could I just replug it and go back to regular use without having to reinstall anything?

Dec 26, 2022
That is the usual indicator that the system can't find a bootable storage device.

Can you access the BIOS?
Okay, so I went into the BIOS, and looking up the model numbers, the computer is recognizing the hard drive, and the hard drive is running. Would unplugging and replugging the SATA data cable help at all, do you know?

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
If your computer shows a bsod ( black screen of death ) there might be something else wrong. It's worth a try plugging it in again, but normally you would get an error message that says ," no bootable device detected " or something like that. If I had this problem I would attempt to boot from a usb drive with a Linux distro on it to check the health state of the hard drive and wether the files on it are accessible. If so, I would try to create a backup of the entire drive or whatever is worth doing so. The problem might very well be caused by a bad / broken drive.

If you would share some details such as the name of the pc ( if it's a prebuilt) and the bios version , finding someone who can tell you, wether your bios settings are just messed up, becomes more likely.

If you can reset your bios to standard settings, that might be a good idea.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022
So, actually, I went in to the BIOS and did some digging on what each item under the SATA Information tab was, and found out that it renamed my SSD to SATAFIRM S11, did some digging on that, and found out I basically have to replace it.