[SOLVED] My Computer Won't Boot After Upgrading GPU

Apr 15, 2020
System Specs:
  • CPU - Ryzen 3900X
  • MoBo - Asus Prime X570 P
  • Memory - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (2x16 GB) (Part: F4-3200C14D-32GFX)
  • Storage - 500 GB WD Black NVMe Black SSD
  • GPU - EVGA 2080 Super
  • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GA (750 Watt, 80+ Gold)
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro

The Problem:

So today my new graphics card arrived. It's a 2080 Super, and I was upgrading from a 2080 (I only pulled the trigger on this because it was priced lower than my 2080, which was still within the return window). I plugged in the 2080 Super and booted to Windows like normal. GeForce Experience recognized the new GPU and suggested I install new drivers. I went through the normal installation process, opting for a clean install too. I was then prompted to restart my computer, which I did. Except, nothing came up on screen. I thankfully had Windows Remote Desktop set up and was able to control my computer from there. It looked like normal, except GeForce Experience was already open, and it was prompting me to install drivers again (like it had failed to install the first time?). Getting nervous by this point, I opted for the express install this time. After this was over, GeForce Experience did not prompt me to restart, it just said "installation complete". I still had no output, so I tried to reboot my machine once more. Only now, when it powered on, all the fans blasted 100% and wouldn't stop. I waited a few minutes and got nothing on the screen, no BIOS, no Windows. I tried rebooting a couple times, and nothing fixed it. It won't boot to Windows so I can't remote in, and my CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, so I can't bypass the GPU. When I power on my machine, the monitor flashes on for a brief moment and then goes back into standby, displaying nothing. I'm stuck with not a clue what I can try next. I would appreciate any help!

What I've Tried:
  • I removed the GPU and re-seated it
  • I tried using a different DisplayPort output on the card
  • I tried swapping back to my old 2080. (I also have a 980 sitting around somewhere that I will try soon too in-case using a different series card will make a difference)
  • I have opened a support ticket with EVGA

P.S. - I am hesitant to clear my CMOS because the last time I did, BIOS stopped recognizing my NVMe drive as bootable, I made a post about it here.

Solution
SOLVED

Appreciate the help so far. I tried three different cards in the same system, and on all of them, HDMI worked, but DP did not. Next I tried the three cards in another PC connected to the monitor. Again HDMI worked, DP didn't. This suggested to me that the issue was either the cable, or the monitor.

Thankfully I had another DP capable monitor elsewhere in the house, with another DP cable. I tried first swapping the cable, hoping it would be a bad cable (cheaper to replace), but again the problem persisted. So then I swapped for a different monitor, just to confirm, and it worked with the old cable on a new monitor.

Fearing for my wallet, I put everything back to the way it was before, just...
Unplug your PSU and try reseating it if that dose not work unplug it again and try reseating it. Also have you taken gpu out while the psu is still plugged into motherboard but then again cmos to clear out any settings know you do not want to but thats if someone eles says it to. Hopefuly you get more answers!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020
Unplug your PSU and try reseating it if that dose not work unplug it again and try reseating it. Also have you taken gpu out while the psu is still plugged into motherboard but then again cmos to clear out any settings know you do not want to but thats if someone eles says it to. Hopefuly you get more answers!
Thanks for the reply, I tried re-seating, and nothing changed. I then tried plugging the GPU into a different PCIe slot and I have the same issue, no matter which GPU I try using, even if it's a different series GPU like a 980.

Apr 15, 2020
SOLVED

Appreciate the help so far. I tried three different cards in the same system, and on all of them, HDMI worked, but DP did not. Next I tried the three cards in another PC connected to the monitor. Again HDMI worked, DP didn't. This suggested to me that the issue was either the cable, or the monitor.

Thankfully I had another DP capable monitor elsewhere in the house, with another DP cable. I tried first swapping the cable, hoping it would be a bad cable (cheaper to replace), but again the problem persisted. So then I swapped for a different monitor, just to confirm, and it worked with the old cable on a new monitor.

Fearing for my wallet, I put everything back to the way it was before, just hoping something would work now, and I wouldn't need a new monitor. And to my surprise, it all worked again. Not a clue what was causing the problems, but after I swapped monitors, cables, cards, and computers, something must've been the right combination of things changing to make the old monitor start to behave again. Still no clue why it wouldn't boot to windows without a working DP output, but I'm just going to laugh nervously and pretend like everything is working fine now.

Again thanks for the help sorting through the troubleshooting steps!

Solution
SOLVED

Fearing for my wallet, I put everything back to the way it was before, just hoping something would work now, and I wouldn't need a new monitor. And to my surprise, it all worked again. Not a clue what was causing the problems, but after I swapped monitors, cables, cards, and computers, something must've been the right combination of things changing to make the old monitor start to behave again. Still no clue why it wouldn't boot to windows without a working DP output, but I'm just going to laugh nervously and pretend like everything is working fine now.

Again thanks for the help sorting through the troubleshooting steps!

Enjoy your new gpu could of been a bad cable but ether way its working :)