Question My computer won't boot and the psu is making weird noises

Aug 26, 2019
before i switched cases, the psu could only power a hdd, and after i switched the case motherboard and cpu the psu makes a high pitch when on (The pc isn't turned on) and my motherboard has some led that turns on as well. I've tried 2 different psu's and it's the same problem. Anyone who can help? Also when i turn off the power the psu takes a couple of seconds to turn off like wise the led on the motherboard. The SB_pwr is static red

before i switched cases, the psu could only power a hdd, and after i switched the case motherboard and cpu the psu makes a high pitch when on (The pc isn't turned on) and my motherboard has some led that turns on as well. I've tried 2 different psu's and it's the same problem. Anyone who can help? Also when i turn off the power the psu takes a couple of seconds to turn off like wise the led on the motherboard. The SB_pwr is static red

Well.. an LED on the motherboard is normal. That means it's getting +5VSB from the PSU (standby power).

Two different PSUs with a high pitched whine? What PSUs are these?

One thing I'm not clear on: You said that before it could only power the HDD? What does that mean exactly? And now that you've moved everything over to essentially a new PC, is it actually booting up into Windows now?

So is the complaint that:

1. The PSU doesn't power up the PC at all (except for standby power)

or

2. The PC works, but there's a noise when it's in standby

Reactions: PC Tailor