My computer won't boot first attempt

ritchiejay3

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
I had this problem recently with my computer, and it was ever since I switched case. I will turn on my power supply, push the power button and it wont turn on, however the motherboard power light will glow up. But if I turn the power supply off, wait for the lights to turn off, then turn back on the power supply, the computer will boot fine, but I need to go into BIOS every time and overclock my CPU again.

I discovered it couldn't be the PSU because I done the paper clip test. It also couldn't be hard drives
or my GPU as I just upgraded.

Specs:

OCZ 600w PSU
Intel Core i5 2500k
GTX 1060 3gb Gigabyte OC
16gb RAM
1tb Toshiba HDD
CiT Dark Star Case

Solution
Lol. paper clip test just proves that paper clip works and eventually if PSU fan turns. There could still be tons of problems with it.
But... the problem with booting and having to access BIOS could be result of dead or bad contact with CMOS battery. You didn't say which MB you have but it's possible that there is connector for CMOS reset pins on MB that you lost somehow. Check your MB manual. If it's with 3 pins than it usually needs a connector for two of them.
Lol. paper clip test just proves that paper clip works and eventually if PSU fan turns. There could still be tons of problems with it.
But... the problem with booting and having to access BIOS could be result of dead or bad contact with CMOS battery. You didn't say which MB you have but it's possible that there is connector for CMOS reset pins on MB that you lost somehow. Check your MB manual. If it's with 3 pins than it usually needs a connector for two of them.

Solution

maxyspark

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
I had this problem recently with my computer, and it was ever since I switched case. I will turn on my power supply, push the power button and it wont turn on, however the motherboard power light will glow up. But if I turn the power supply off, wait for the lights to turn off, then turn back on the power supply, the computer will boot fine, but I need to go into BIOS every time and overclock my CPU again.

I discovered it couldn't be the PSU because I done the paper clip test. It also couldn't be hard drives
or my GPU as I just upgraded.

Specs:

OCZ 600w PSU
Intel Core i5 2500k
GTX 1060 3gb Gigabyte OC
16gb RAM
1tb Toshiba HDD
CiT Dark Star Case

so what was the problem?

TRENDING THREADS