Question My computer won't boot

Mar 18, 2019
Hey.
My PC won't go into Windows/bios/POST or anything. Chain of actions (I will try to keep it short):
Windows wants to repair my C: drive (SSD with Windows10 on it). I saw this when I had to go, so I shut my PC down normally through Windows.
I boot it up the next day, and Windows repairs the C: drive by itself, and the PC starts up, and everything runs as it should.
Then I shut it down, and when I try to turn it on the next day, nothing happens. The LED's turn on, the fans spin, but no video.
I removed my GPU (GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition) and tried to use the on-board HDMI output (motherboard is a MSI B75A-G41). LEDS and fans, check. Still no video.
I tried to remove the RAM blocks, and do all kinds of cross-setups of the RAMS. I have 4x4 GB, so I thought this might help, but no.
I then tried to remove the CMOS battery, and measure on it with a multimeter. It was good, so I plugged it back in after about 30 minutes. Still no results.
At this point, if I pressed the power-on button, the computer would start up for about 4-7 seconds to shutdown for a few seconds, and then reboot.
This cycle repeats itself untill I turn the switch on the back of the PSU.
I tested the PSU by shorting it, and it works perfectly.
At this point I decided to "breadboard" it on the table.

At this time, the only thing I have plugged in the motherboard, is:
The ATX 24-pin Power Connector
The ATX 8-pin Power Connector for the CPU
Intel i7-3700k processor (NOT overclocked at this time)
CPU fan (heatsink and fan)
SYSfan

When I power up the system at this point, it will turn on for a few seconds, and shut down. Turn on for a few seconds, and shut down. The cycle repeats it self.

So my question is: What the heck is wrong with my PC?

Mar 18, 2019
HowLayLoueYa!

Finally, after throwing mental darts at my kids machine for days it seems the stars have aligned and someone is suffering the same fate. I can MacGyver just about anything but computer mechanic I am NOT. I am average with software issues and I just took my first cover (back) off any computer two days ago. I must admit an eyegasim erupted when I say that motherboard for the first time and all the cool stuff attached to it.

2016 Dell Inspiron 2200 (3263) are the machines (2) I bought my snot rocket kids (girls) about a year ago.

Here's the deal. I have searched everywhere for someone that can't make it to the logo/cursor/command screen as is in my case (past BIOS?). They are not out there. Then along comes you with same type scenario.

-Hit the power button the amber light illuminates followed immediately by a solid white light and fan engagement for about 5-7 seconds.
-After the seven seconds the hard drive starts to fire up and immediately the system shuts down.
-If left alone the machine will power-on in about 3 seconds and that cycle will start again and continue until the plug is pulled.
-Since then I have unplugged, detached, swapped where I could and just about any and everything I could to disrupt the cycle.
-Next thing I know no more cycles, it (fan) begins to run continuously.
-Nothing happens for about 10 minutes until I said screw this I'm slapping the memory card back in this F'er while it's running. What's the worst that could happen?
-Nothing catastrophic happens and the fan continues to run until my curiosity/impatience wins out.
-I turn it off and then back on again and back to the 5-7 second cycle again. Sweet baby jesus I love computers.

Mr. Anderson my apologies for leaching off your post with my concerns but we seem to be close to the same impasse. What I'm wondering in my case is can the POST data get destroyed from where it's stored (BIOS chip?) and that is why I can't even get to a command screen? Would that mean a new motherboard?

Mar 18, 2019
HowLayLoueYa!

Finally, after throwing mental darts at my kids machine for days it seems the stars have aligned and someone is suffering the same fate. I can MacGyver just about anything but computer mechanic I am NOT. I am average with software issues and I just took my first cover (back) off any computer two days ago. I must admit an eyegasim erupted when I say that motherboard for the first time and all the cool stuff attached to it.

2016 Dell Inspiron 2200 (3263) are the machines (2) I bought my snot rocket kids (girls) about a year ago.

Here's the deal. I have searched everywhere for someone that can't make it to the logo/cursor/command screen as is in my case (past BIOS?). They are not out there. Then along comes you with same type scenario.

-Hit the power button the amber light illuminates followed immediately by a solid white light and fan engagement for about 5-7 seconds.
-After the seven seconds the hard drive starts to fire up and immediately the system shuts down.
-If left alone the machine will power-on in about 3 seconds and that cycle will start again and continue until the plug is pulled.
-Since then I have unplugged, detached, swapped where I could and just about any and everything I could to disrupt the cycle.
-Next thing I know no more cycles, it (fan) begins to run continuously.
-Nothing happens for about 10 minutes until I said screw this I'm slapping the memory card back in this F'er while it's running. What's the worst that could happen?
-Nothing catastrophic happens and the fan continues to run until my curiosity/impatience wins out.
-I turn it off and then back on again and back to the 5-7 second cycle again. Sweet baby jesus I love computers.

Mr. Anderson my apologies for leaching off your post with my concerns but we seem to be close to the same impasse. What I'm wondering in my case is can the POST data get destroyed from where it's stored (BIOS chip?) and that is why I can't even get to a command screen? Would that mean a new motherboard?
Well, I'm as much as a pickle as you are, and I have no idea. For my part, I would say it's either the CPU og the motherboard, but I need somebody with a bit more insight to help me conclude it. If you have a spare motherboard with the same chipset and memory type, you could try and swap it out to see if it runs on the new motherboard.

Mar 18, 2019
Dang, I spent a good part of the day researching computers and came to this conclusion....shit! Y'all folks are just about bat shit craaaazy when it comes to the sport. I say sport cause it's waaaay more competitive in all aspects of the word than I could have ever imagined. I do not do social media on account of my job and have been associated with one message board before (southeastern climbers coalition) but that was a decade ago and I maybe published 30 replies and started one or two posts. I stopped following cause I couldn't take the posers who were full of crap and the whining from shelias that got their feelings hurt cause someone structured a sentence in a way that sounded like criticism. That is exactly what it was. From what I read today not only has it not changed but I'm confident that it (wussification) has gotten worse. For the record, if I come across as being a prick because of the way write....well, who am I to judge you judging me. No need for a response just whining and opining

I say this cause I think we might be on our own with this post. Fine by me cause one way or another I will find a solution despite my inept greenhorn status. My friend I don't know shit about the guts of a computer. I do think it's so damn cool though and wonder why it took me so long to crack one open. So, if your up for it I would greatly appreciate your continued input cause I need guidance in a serious way. I tried to chat up the dell support and that bunch just wanted money and didn't give a shit about me wanting to fix it myself. Or you can tell me to go pound sand. Again, whining and opining.

For my part, I would say it's either the CPU og the motherboard, but I need somebody with a bit more insight to help me conclude it. I'm not trying to be a dick but isn't the CPU on the motherboard? Not sure of your situation but I don't think the one I'm working with is serviceable? The CPU that is. I can identify most everything on the MB so the only thing left that I'm not sure of is the CPU? If it's what I'm thinking then it's soldered in place.

If you have a spare motherboard with the same chipset and memory type, you could try and swap it out to see if it runs on the new motherboard. I do indeed have another MB that is exactly the same but my kid will throttle me if I start ripping hers apart to fix the other kids machine. Plus I would spill my liquor drink on it as soon as it was exposed. Not an option. haha.

Lemme ask you this....does the CPU get juice/power before the BIOS? Surely I can poke the circuitry with a multimeter and figure out where power stops? Where would I start the poking? Oversimplified language yes but does that make sense on what the next step should be for both of us?

So, one of the USB 3.0 hubs was jacked up and I asked the Minnie-me about it and she said she got mad and well jacked it up. I'm 73.45% sure she has rendered the port nonfunctional. Surely that would not cause such a crash in the boot up process that I can't get to the logo/BIOS screen, or could it?

You can't get to your logo or BIOS screen either, right? No lights of any kind on the monitor. Am I saying that properly? No lights of any kind on the monitor.

What the hell is "breadboarding"?

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2019
Dang, I spent a good part of the day researching computers and came to this conclusion....shit! Y'all folks are just about bat shit craaaazy when it comes to the sport. I say sport cause it's waaaay more competitive in all aspects of the word than I could have ever imagined. I do not do social media on account of my job and have been associated with one message board before (southeastern climbers coalition) but that was a decade ago and I maybe published 30 replies and started one or two posts. I stopped following cause I couldn't take the posers who were full of crap and the whining from shelias that got their feelings hurt cause someone structured a sentence in a way that sounded like criticism. That is exactly what it was. From what I read today not only has it not changed but I'm confident that it (wussification) has gotten worse. For the record, if I come across as being a prick because of the way write....well, who am I to judge you judging me. No need for a response just whining and opining

I say this cause I think we might be on our own with this post. Fine by me cause one way or another I will find a solution despite my inept greenhorn status. My friend I don't know shit about the guts of a computer. I do think it's so damn cool though and wonder why it took me so long to crack one open. So, if your up for it I would greatly appreciate your continued input cause I need guidance in a serious way. I tried to chat up the dell support and that bunch just wanted money and didn't give a shit about me wanting to fix it myself. Or you can tell me to go pound sand. Again, whining and opining.

For my part, I would say it's either the CPU og the motherboard, but I need somebody with a bit more insight to help me conclude it. I'm not trying to be a dick but isn't the CPU on the motherboard? Not sure of your situation but I don't think the one I'm working with is serviceable? The CPU that is. I can identify most everything on the MB so the only thing left that I'm not sure of is the CPU? If it's what I'm thinking then it's soldered in place.

If you have a spare motherboard with the same chipset and memory type, you could try and swap it out to see if it runs on the new motherboard. I do indeed have another MB that is exactly the same but my kid will throttle me if I start ripping hers apart to fix the other kids machine. Plus I would spill my liquor drink on it as soon as it was exposed. Not an option. haha.

Lemme ask you this....does the CPU get juice/power before the BIOS? Surely I can poke the circuitry with a multimeter and figure out where power stops? Where would I start the poking? Oversimplified language yes but does that make sense on what the next step should be for both of us?

So, one of the USB 3.0 hubs was jacked up and I asked the Minnie-me about it and she said she got mad and well jacked it up. I'm 73.45% sure she has rendered the port nonfunctional. Surely that would not cause such a crash in the boot up process that I can't get to the logo/BIOS screen, or could it?

You can't get to your logo or BIOS screen either, right? No lights of any kind on the monitor. Am I saying that properly? No lights of any kind on the monitor.

What the hell is "breadboarding"?

Cheers!
The CPU is the brain of the computer, so it shouldn't be soldered into the motherboard. It's probably hid behind a fan, or a cooling unit, and it should be replaceable.

And if you have no CPU, then it has no brain, so no BIOS without it.

If you have no confidence in swapping the CPU's, maybe you should try and get some "real" help from a tech shop.

You can look up breadboarding a computer on YouTube. It will show you pretty fast what it's about.