Question my computer won't boot

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
I had my pc build myself and was working fine.

I tried everything like i got new psu had nothing but when i have usb keyboard or mouse , mic has lights on also my case power light is alway on.
I cant seem to find the problem no leak on mobo or didnt smell anything burned.
Did the cmos reset, battery and drain power everything but nothing fan doesnt spin no sound nothing.

It has to be cpu or mobo but i dont see anything.

If it is CPU
Do i have to buy mobo and cpu ? or just cpu ?

Oh and the lost thing i did on this pc was i checked it boot after undusting and i shut down the computer and didnt boot after that just shows light on case.

cpu - i5 7600
mobo - Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 G1
gpu - Geforce GTX 1050 TI Gaming X 4G
ram - corsair lpx 2400 mhz 8gb ddr 4
psu - thermaltake 430w
case - NZXT elite s430

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
when you did CMOS reset, you made sure to flip the switch on the PSU or unplug it all together from the wall and press and hold power button on system for 10 seconds before removing the battery right?

Because if you remove the battery while there is still power running through the system (and yes, even if the PC is shutdown there is power running through it when it's plugged in) then that could've broke something.

Reactions: Dokkea

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
when you did CMOS reset, you made sure to flip the switch on the PSU or unplug it all together from the wall and press and hold power button on system for 10 seconds before removing the battery right?

Because if you remove the battery while there is still power running through the system (and yes, even if the PC is shutdown there is power running through it when it's plugged in) then that could've broke something.

There was no power back and out because i took out the mobo from the case when i took the battery out so im not sure.

No i shut down and i didnt do anything but i turn it back on after like 30min it didnt boot and just light on my case and key + mouse was on but nothing.

I mean i can see that it could be cpu im really thinkin buyin AMD this time Ryzen 7 2700x I really liked this build but
i guess its done.

And thank you for the answer

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
I'm sorry but the way you are typing is all over the place and confusing.

Did you take out the motherboard before taking out the battery?

Or did you take out the battery first?

Sorry i couldnt sleep workin on this pc so im all over the place umm yeh i took out mobo before battery out.
So there should been no power at all

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
OK. Let's try to break this down a bit more so I can understand exactly what happened.

So you built the PC and everything was working as it should.
Then I assume you shutdown at some point and then when you came back to it, it wouldn't boot right?
Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Next, you've tried doing a CMOS reset to no avail.

You say that when you press the power button, fans and lights come on, but no video output?
Or that there are just lights that come on naturally without pressing the power button and pressing the power button does nothing?

Please specify this last part in detail thank you.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
OK. Let's try to break this down a bit more so I can understand exactly what happened.

So you built the PC and everything was working as it should.
Then I assume you shutdown at some point and then when you came back to it, it wouldn't boot right?
Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Next, you've tried doing a CMOS reset to no avail.

You say that when you press the power button, fans and lights come on, but no video output?
Or that there are just lights that come on naturally without pressing the power button and pressing the power button does nothing?

Please specify this last part in detail thank you.

Nope they have light on my case power button but no boot no fan just light for all the usb ports my mouse and mic etc.
If it was no vid it would be mostly RAM or no PCI power plugged in

Yes I did CMOS reset nothing

I had 430w PSU i thought it was PSU and got 500w but nothing.

So long story short as i can say

I have power through usb ports and case but no boot no fan no nothing on mobo power and I changed my psu 430w -> 500w so im not sure whats goin on.

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
double check and make sure you plugged all the right cables into the right places, especially the power/reset/led cables (you know, those little tiny ones) and that they are also fully plugged in.

If something isn't fully and firmly plugged in it can cause an issue.

Lastly, after that, you can try bread boarding your system.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
double check and make sure you plugged all the right cables into the right places, especially the power/reset/led cables (you know, those little tiny ones) and that they are also fully plugged in.

If something isn't fully and firmly plugged in it can cause an issue.

Lastly, after that, you can try bread boarding your system.

Ok so it works psu was bad on 430w its dead and umm I think it was computer case (NZXT what Happened ? huh ?)
or I did front panel connector wrong that is my guess.

Thank you for reading and walking throu with me i have built few pc and I had no doubt about my skills but at the sec when it didnt boot I new it was psu short on 430w and i been testing on wrong things I guess
breadboarding worked and i have it hook up everything and runs good so np there.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok so it works psu was bad on 430w its dead and umm I think it was computer case (NZXT what Happened ? huh ?)
or I did front panel connector wrong that is my guess.

Thank you for reading and walking throu with me i have built few pc and I had no doubt about my skills but at the sec when it didnt boot I new it was psu short on 430w and i been testing on wrong things I guess
breadboarding worked and i have it hook up everything and runs good so np there.
right on. glad to hear that you're system is up and running.
No need to replace the entire thing LOL. Just do some upgrades over time for performance when things start to show their age.

Also, what is the brand and model of the PSU you are using now?
Because if it's low quality I would recommend that be the first thing you look into replacing/upgrading as soon as possible if it is low quality.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
right on. glad to hear that you're system is up and running.
No need to replace the entire thing LOL. Just do some upgrades over time for performance when things start to show their age.

Also, what is the brand and model of the PSU you are using now?
Because if it's low quality I would recommend that be the first thing you look into replacing/upgrading as soon as possible if it is low quality.

Yes Thank you and did i say i had thermaltake before ? thermaltake is good but evga psu 500w 80 plus ? is what i put on now
um sure corsair is also good but i never doubt thermaltake cuz i have one on my other pc thats running 6700k still good till this day and not cuz single problem since the day I put it together.

Im sure it still out runs some cpu that are new well not really but yeh !

What happened to other PC was that i was clearning it thought i would remember all the front panel connector on right place but nope its mini mobo that has differ colors other normal boards so i must had it mixed up.

If anyone is having same promblem its has to PSU or BIOS or Front panel connector one of this three please check.

Thank you
QwerkyPengwen

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
OK. well, EVGA just uses other maker's PSU's and they still have some models that are just poorly made.

I would double check on the build quality of the PSU you are currently using just to make sure you shouldn't be using it.
I would answer that question for you, but you haven't provided the model like I asked.
But hopefully it's a decent one.

Either way I'm glad your PC is working now and the issue has been resolved.

Take care and have nice day :)

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
OK. well, EVGA just uses other maker's PSU's and they still have some models that are just poorly made.

I would double check on the build quality of the PSU you are currently using just to make sure you shouldn't be using it.
I would answer that question for you, but you haven't provided the model like I asked.
But hopefully it's a decent one.

Either way I'm glad your PC is working now and the issue has been resolved.

Take care and have nice day :)

Yea I no right ?
but this pc i gave it to my brother and his being cheap as hek so i dk
I think he got the one of the cheapest one there was

the Model was EVGA 500w 80 plus I believe

TT 430w im not sure .. thermaltake TR2 430w ? and says 5yr warranty.
I should ask for warranty.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If it doesn't even sat 80+ bronze or gold and has only just an 80+ sticker that is silver/white, then I would highly recommend getting a new one that is better quality as soon as you can afford it.

Can come back here to the forums when that time comes to ask the community for suggestions and recommendations based on the budget. But be aware you're going to be paying at least $60.

Dokkea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
If it doesn't even sat 80+ bronze or gold and has only just an 80+ sticker that is silver/white, then I would highly recommend getting a new one that is better quality as soon as you can afford it.

Can come back here to the forums when that time comes to ask the community for suggestions and recommendations based on the budget. But be aware you're going to be paying at least $60.

Thank you Im not worried about bugets i was mostly thinkin about geting corsair or tt gold something like that but forsure ill be back if i have question !