[SOLVED] My computer won't boot!

zacXL2099

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
I had an old 2tb Seagate hhd and recently I've been encountering the blue screen of death with the following error code:"error code 0xc0000001". I then decided to buy a 250 GB Kingston ssd to replace the old hdd that I think died. When I connect in the ssd, I tried to load up windows with a recovery disk AND USB, but I always get the same message: "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". I tried the USB and disc on my other computer and it loads up windows perfectly, so I don't think it's a problem there. I did go into bios to change the boot order for the USB and disc to no prevail. After the mobo screen, I press f12 to enter the boot screen then change it to either USB hdd or CD but again, failed. I even tried inserting another recovery disk and plugging the USB into all of the different USB ports on my pc but yet again, the message still pops up. I'm really stuck and I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Solution
You need to install windows from scratch and you can't use a backup or image you might have because the Kingstoon SSD isn't compatible with the old 512byte sectors the HDD uses. If you still want to use your backup/image then you need to return the Kingston and get something else, like the WD Blue 3d, Sandisk Ultra 3d, Samsung 850/860 evo, Crucial Mx500. (I can't think of any others that might be sold in the bigbox chain stores like bestbuy)

Set the SSD as the first disk to boot.
Some motherbd's have 2 placed for boot. 1st one for the generic order (Disk, Lan,USB) and then a second entry for the Disk boot order (in case you have more then one bootable disk in the pc). While you are in the bios, make sure your Sata ports are set to...

popatim

Titan
You need to install windows from scratch and you can't use a backup or image you might have because the Kingstoon SSD isn't compatible with the old 512byte sectors the HDD uses. If you still want to use your backup/image then you need to return the Kingston and get something else, like the WD Blue 3d, Sandisk Ultra 3d, Samsung 850/860 evo, Crucial Mx500. (I can't think of any others that might be sold in the bigbox chain stores like bestbuy)

Set the SSD as the first disk to boot.
Some motherbd's have 2 placed for boot. 1st one for the generic order (Disk, Lan,USB) and then a second entry for the Disk boot order (in case you have more then one bootable disk in the pc). While you are in the bios, make sure your Sata ports are set to AHCI since you have an SSD now.

With the USB installed, use the Boot select or boot override F-key (shown at the bottom of the screen at the same time 'Enter Bios/Setup' is shown) and now select your USB stick and follow the Windows installation prompts like usual. When you get to the Where do you want to install windows? screen and your SSD isn't listed, click the Drie Options link and delete all the partitions already on the SSD; click Next when its 100% unallocated.

The only catch might be if your motherbd is in UEFI mode, when you go to select the USB you select the one that has UEFI: in front of it. Windows 10 is usually good at getting it right but win7 this is a must. {Ex: UEFI: Lexar 64gb (what it says varies with the motherbd)}

Solution

Plicker19

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
I had an old 2tb Seagate hhd and recently I've been encountering the blue screen of death with the following error code:"error code 0xc0000001". I then decided to buy a 250 GB Kingston ssd to replace the old hdd that I think died. When I connect in the ssd, I tried to load up windows with a recovery disk AND USB, but I always get the same message: "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". I tried the USB and disc on my other computer and it loads up windows perfectly, so I don't think it's a problem there. I did go into bios to change the boot order for the USB and disc to no prevail. After the mobo screen, I press f12 to enter the boot screen then change it to either USB hdd or CD but again, failed. I even tried inserting another recovery disk and plugging the USB into all of the different USB ports on my pc but yet again, the message still pops up. I'm really stuck and I'd greatly appreciate your help!
funny that you got that, I got that error message as well. I fixed it with a windows system restore.

zacXL2099

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
Thank you so much for the reply, but I thought of another solution. I unplugged my other pc's hdd and plugged it into my current one and it worked! Then when I plugged the the ssd to that pc, it loaded! I'm installing window on that pc as I'm typing this right now. I guess I'll call that a day but thank you again for taking your time to reply to my question!