My computer won't connect to my monitor

itztoxic

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
I have been trying to connect my computer to something for a while yesterday I was trying to get my computer to hook up to a Samsung smart TV and it wasn't working so I asked why it wasn't working and they said that I needed to borrow or buy a monitor and it would work on there, and on there I could install windows and then it would work on my TV, ok so I got a monitor from work and it still isn't working. The cpu cooler is lighting up the motherboard is lighting up the memory is lighting up the graphics card is lighting up. I have went to multiple threads and nothing has worked. I tried taking how the memory and turning on the system and I got beeping so I turned it off put them back in and it was fine still not working. I am connecting the monitor through a DVI-D cable.
I have tried unplugging the DVI cable and plugging it back in. I tried restarting the PC multiple times. I don't know what is going on and I need help give me any suggestions and I will try it.

Here are my PC specs
Motherboard MSI Z270 - A PRO
CPU Intel COre i7 7700k
GPU GTX 1080
memory 2x8 gb ddr4 3000
PCU 550W Corsair
2TB Hard Drive and 250GB SSD

Solution
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but are you powering the gpu correctly? There's been a rash of posts recently (probably due to black Friday sales) of ppl trying to run a gpu needing 2x8pin with a 8pin and 6pin or a gpu needing an 8pin and using just a 6pin cable.

Also, the monitor input will need to be matched to the gpu output, so if you use DVI, the monitor needs to be set to DVI input.

BENJI1823

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Do you have any other GPUS that you could try instead of the 1080 so you could test and see if it is a GPU problem. Or you could just take it out entirely and plug HDMI to the MOBO.

You're definitely plugging the cable into the GPU itself and not the onboard graphics options the motherboard?

Assuming you are, just the the GPU out (and remove the power from it), and then try it while connected to the onboard graphics (the motherboard ports, near your USB connectors on the back). If you get the same result then you either have a cable issue, or (more likely if this is a brand new PC) you a major system issue that's preventing the computer from POSTing.

If you system works fine without the GPU, but you get nothing with the GPU in (with the cables connected directly to the GPU), then it obviously points to a GPU issue.

BENJI1823

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
That is irrelevant right now that just means you have no windows key put in. So now you identified it is a GPU problem. You might have to send it back to the manufacturer. Was it brand new?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but are you powering the gpu correctly? There's been a rash of posts recently (probably due to black Friday sales) of ppl trying to run a gpu needing 2x8pin with a 8pin and 6pin or a gpu needing an 8pin and using just a 6pin cable.

Also, the monitor input will need to be matched to the gpu output, so if you use DVI, the monitor needs to be set to DVI input.

Solution