My Computer won't restart properly

Niels1234321

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hi Tom's Hardware and Co.

A couple days ago I reassembled my computer because I bought a new CPU and wanted to have a better cablemanagement. After doing so I've had an issue with my computer not wanting to restart properly. When having booted into Windows and pressing on the "Restart"-button the computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse turns off and the tower keeps running like it's supposed to do.

The problem is that it keeps like this, the tower keeps running, but everything else is still turned off and NOTHING happens what so ever. To turn off the tower I have to hold down the power button and press it again to turn it on. When turning it on after pressing the power button it will turn on and boot into Windows like it's supposed to do. The only way do perform a restart is to shut down the computer and then turn it on again after the tower has turned off.

This will not be solved by performing a reformat because it also happens when I'm in the Windows setup and the computer has to restart. It seems like the whole computer "freezes" when trying to reboot. The computer "freezes" after the computer have turned off and before showing BIOS logo/screen.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions to solve this problem. Thank you.

PC specs

CPU: Intel(r) coreTM i7-4790K @4.0 GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - With Noctua - NHT1 Thermal Paste
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr - OC Edition
MB: MSI Z87-G45 (With an upgraded BIOS - performed on my previous CPU - to version 1.9)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz)
PSU: Corsair RM650
SSD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDD: 1TB Seagate 7200RPM
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker Expert - Nordic layout
Mouse: Razer Ouroboros
Monitor: BenQ GL2450 @60Hz

Niels1234321

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

This will not be solved by performing a reformat because it also happens when I'm in the Windows setup and the computer has to restart.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Then it;s a problem with the case, mobo, or a setting in windows...

bharathbigb

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Update your Drivers using iOBit Driver Booster 2.2 and see if it fixes the problem.Or else Clean your PC (The Connections,Connectors,Pins,Sockets.etc) and Re-connect them and then see if it fixes your Problem.Check your PSU too.Finally Reset CMOS and see.Thanks.

Niels1234321

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Okay. So I reseated the RAM, updated my drivers using iOBit Driver Booster 2.2, cleared the CMOS and checked all cables but it's still the same problem. Nothing's changed. Unfortunately.

Anthony_12

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
@Niels1234321

hello

just wanted to see if you still had this problem as i had a similar issue. your problem may lie with the fact that the z87 bios version isnt compatible with the new 4th gen intel refresh CPU's. you are correct in updating your bios as this is also what i did. what solved my problem was updating my bios along with the management engine or ME which is also an option in the bios update menu. i really hope this helps if you still have not found a solution to your problem.

best regards

Niels1234321

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

Hey Anthony.

I still have this problem and have just been dealing with it untill now. I will try flashing my BIOS and updating the ME to the latest versions and check if that helps. Thanks. :)

Niels1234321

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
This is roughly 1½ years old, and after reading my old post, I realized that I forgot to mention that this happens every time the computer wants to reboot. Also if it's saving something in the BIOS and having to reset the computer after doing so. Since then I've upgraded my system from the GTX 770 to an MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk and a Corsair H110i AIO liquid cooler for the CPU. This shouldn't have had any effect on the system not wanting to reboot and it hasn't. Which also means that the problem still is there. So I thought, well this is an older motherboard after all so I might aswell just try to re-flash the damn thing even though I was on the same version as before - which also is the newest. However nothing has changed at all and I'm still quite frustrated about this not working at all.

If anyone knows a possible solution to the problem I will be happy to try your guesses,

Kind regards Niels.

TRENDING THREADS