[SOLVED] My computer won't start sometimes, i have no idea what it causes

Aug 14, 2020
Hey, so a few days ago my pc crashed due to me overloading it, I'm pretty sure it got too hot and it automatically shut down.

Now ever since then my pc has problems starting up. When I press the on button the lights will flash for 1 split second and the fans will turn for 1 second. After that it will just shut down. The strange thing is, sometimes it will boot up normally and work perfectly fine like there isn't any problem but this happens after like, 20+ tries at random? Sometimes, like yesterday it will just fire up in one go but today I had less luck and it worked after 30 times with some time rest. Right now, it works perfectly fine but tomorrow when I will try to turn it on it'll probably have that problem again.

I've never overclocked my pc whatsoever. What could be the problem? What should I start doing? I'm not really too advanced with computers and I don't have anyone irl to ask for help really so, any tips are welcome.

Specs afaik:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 r2
Power supply: Cooler Master GM G550M
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Graphics card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Ventus XS 6G OC
RAM: 12GB ddr3, 3x4GB (i have no idea what brand/model)
Storage: 500GB ssd and 1TB hdd

With kind regards,
Shinoa :)

Solution
Solved, tried a different PSU on it, and it seems like my current one is faulty. The first overheating was caused by cpu so while I was at it, i replaced the therminal interface material and redid my cables for more airflow just to be sure. Thanks for the help! :)
If your pretty sure it's heat related Shinoa the question is which component is causing the overheating,
ReMove the front panel of your PC and use a desk fan to direct cool air into the case. If the system stays up and running then use HWinfo64 to determine if excessive heat is generated from the CPU or GPU. You will need to stress test the system. There is a product called AIDA64 you can use to put the system under load or use whatever was causing the overheating condition.

It may also be a buildup of dust or a need to replace your TIM.(Thermal Interface Material)
As your system is now quite a number of years old the above is worth checking.
Normal temps for your CPU would be 10-15C above ambient at idle and 65-70C under load.
The other thing worth checking by replacing is the CMOS battery. CR2032 Worth replacing at about $4.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020
If your pretty sure it's heat related Shinoa the question is which component is causing the overheating,
ReMove the front panel of your PC and use a desk fan to direct cool air into the case. If the system stays up and running then use HWinfo64 to determine if excessive heat is generated from the CPU or GPU. You will need to stress test the system. There is a product called AIDA64 you can use to put the system under load or use whatever was causing the overheating condition.

It may also be a buildup of dust or a need to replace your TIM.(Thermal Interface Material)
As your system is now quite a number of years old the above is worth checking.
Normal temps for your CPU would be 10-15C above ambient at idle and 65-70C under load.
The other thing worth checking by replacing is the CMOS battery. CR2032 Worth replacing at about $4.
Alright, thank you for the quick reply!! I'll check it tomorrow :)

Aug 14, 2020
Solved, tried a different PSU on it, and it seems like my current one is faulty. The first overheating was caused by cpu so while I was at it, i replaced the therminal interface material and redid my cables for more airflow just to be sure. Thanks for the help! :)

Solution