My computer won't turn on at all after installing new video card (Is my PSU dead?)

eshack

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Today I purchased a new video card to install into my fairly old PC (originally built in 2009).

After properly installing the new video card (XFX Radeon R9 R90X Black Edition), I hooked everything back up and attempted to start the computer. Nothing... No fans, no lights, no beeps, nothing. Absolutely no indication of power.

I tried 3 different outlets and 2 different power cables. I also tried starting it with the video card removed. Has my power supply finally given out?

What else might be causing this problem, and what should I do to troubleshoot? Is it possible that it's an issue with the motherboard or the power button on the front of the computer case is shorting out?

The PSU is a 750W XCLIO Greatpower and is approximately 5-6 years old. It's not a high-dollar PSU and I bought it with the intent of saving money when I originally built my PC.

TLDR: Computer showing absolutely NO signs of power after installing new GPU. No fans, no lights, no beeps, etc. What is likely the problem, what are the potential problems, and how should I troubleshoot the situation?

Thanks!!

eshack

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Thanks. I just ordered a new PSU, which should be here Wednesday. Hopefully that's the problem. If not I'll have to return it and go back to square one..

eshack

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015

Yup! EVGA Supernova 850 B2. Had really good reviews and is definitely from a brand name I trust.

Would you also say that it's the PSU that's my issue? Why would it wait until I was swapping out a part to die?