Question My computer wont turn on?

Dec 16, 2020
Just "at first glance" I would suspect it to be a power supply issue before anything else.

So i've had the PC for about a year now, and its been working fine up until recently. I changed the graphics card, but I went down in specs from my previous card.

I ended up replacing the power supply with a similar one, but the issue never resolved itself.

So i've had the PC for about a year now, and its been working fine up until recently. I changed the graphics card, but I went down in specs from my previous card.

I ended up replacing the power supply with a similar one, but the issue never resolved itself.
What are your system specs....cpu....gpu....etc? What power supply?

"but I went down in specs from my previous card."
why?

"I ended up replacing the power supply"
Why?

Dec 16, 2020
What are your system specs....cpu....gpu....etc? What power supply?

"but I went down in specs from my previous card."
why?

"I ended up replacing the power supply"
Why?

I have an
AMD 9 5900x
AMD Radeon 5600xt
16gb of memory
Power supply: CX750M

First why: I had to replace the graphics card because liquid touched it at some point, I think it may have gotten on the motherboard as well.

Second why: I was having this same problem and started with the power supply.

I know liquid in the PC is like a "duh this is your problem" but I replaced the graphics card, didn't have any issues for a month or longer and then this problem started for no reason. I figured it could be related but I didn't think it would be the cause seeing as its been so long since this has been a problem.

Well....I think a short on the motherboard could also cause that behavior.

I'm at work so I don't have sound.

Does the power supply make noise when it's flashing like that? (a noise that goes with the flashing)

If so....you can try and disconnect the PSU from the motherboard....and try the paperclip test....and if it doesn't make the noise...I think good chance it's the motherboard.

The reason I'm leaning a bit away from the PSU now is....that's not a bad PSU....750 watts should be enough....and you said this PSU is relatively new.

Dec 16, 2020
That all makes sense. I was thinking it might be a motherboard issue as well. I'm not super savvy but I think I can manage to replace it.

I dont know what is making the noise but there is a clicking sound (each time the power button is pressed.) and a slight movement of the fans when pressing the power button (Also when manually turning on the PC with the switch on the motherboard)

Its practically brand new. It was the same amount of watts that was installed previously when I bought the PC prebuilt. I went a step or two up from the one that was recommended because I wanted to make sure I had a good one i guess.

As far as replacing the MB....just go slow....do one thing at a time.....keep it clean.....make sure you know what you're doing before you try to do it.....don't guess.
Basically it's disconnect and unmount everything from the old one.
Mount the new one...install CPU, paste and cooler, connect everything up...(some MBs may need a BIOS update at this point)...if not....it should be good to go.

Dec 16, 2020
As far as replacing the MB....just go slow....do one thing at a time.....keep it clean.....make sure you know what you're doing before you try to do it.....don't guess.
Basically it's disconnect and unmount everything from the old one.
Mount the new one...install CPU, paste and cooler, connect everything up...(some MBs may need a BIOS update at this point)...if not....it should be good to go.

So as far as the BIOS update is there any software installations that wont occur automatically? That's my biggest worry. I don't mind the nuts and bolts, but the software issues I get worried about.

Make sure the MB you buy is compatible with the 5900x.
Then you won't have to update the BIOS.

Also....after you get the MB connected.....do a clean install of Windows.
Don't use the Windows that's on the drive you are currently using or you risk problems.

Then....there are usually some motherboard drivers that will improve the performance of the MB....but you generally don't NEED these to run. Windows should run fine with it's own generic drivers.....but ideally you would install the motherboard drivers after Windows. These would be drivers for things like the chipset....the ethernet port.....USB driver....SATA driver.....etc.....and you can get these on the motherboard website. That's about it.

Dec 16, 2020
Make sure the MB you buy is compatible with the 5900x.
Then you won't have to update the BIOS.

Also....after you get the MB connected.....do a clean install of Windows.
Don't use the Windows that's on the drive you are currently using or you risk problems.

Then....there are usually some motherboard drivers that will improve the performance of the MB....but you generally don't NEED these to run. Windows should run fine with it's own generic drivers.....but ideally you would install the motherboard drivers after Windows. These would be drivers for things like the chipset....the ethernet port.....USB driver....SATA driver.....etc.....and you can get these on the motherboard website. That's about it.

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what do you mean by do a clean install of Windows?