My Computer Works Outside My Case But Not In

marethad

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
-Gtx 1070
-msi tomahwak B350
-amd ryzen 7 1700
-NZXT s340 case

Basically I built my computer outside the case it worked with display. I put it in the case there was no display however it appeared everything was working fine. I decided to take it out to find the problem however it started displaying again when it wasn't in the case. So i put it back in... it stopped displaying. I decided it might be the case so I took it out for the last time to see if my theory was true and it didn't work outside this time and the boot led on the motherboard came on.

I'm in the process of getting another motherboard but I'm worried of what I should do differently this time. Any advice would help a lot.

Solution

No, a standoff is a standoff. However, since they were pre-installed in your case, make sure there isn't one or more that are in place for a different motherboard size, and poking your motherboard somewhere they shouldn't be instead of lining up with the holes on the mobo. (The trays usually have different hole configurations to accept different motherboard sizes)

If that's not the problem, then perhaps the motherboard was defective with a short somewhere on the board to ground. So when you had the board out of the case, not grounded, then everything was okay. But...

marethad

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

Ya I am. Someone told me it could have been one of the screws so I unscrewed them all but no difference

marethad

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

However the standoffs are pre-installed could that be an issue?

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

No, a standoff is a standoff. However, since they were pre-installed in your case, make sure there isn't one or more that are in place for a different motherboard size, and poking your motherboard somewhere they shouldn't be instead of lining up with the holes on the mobo. (The trays usually have different hole configurations to accept different motherboard sizes)

If that's not the problem, then perhaps the motherboard was defective with a short somewhere on the board to ground. So when you had the board out of the case, not grounded, then everything was okay. But when you put in the case and it was grounded, and therefore shorted.

Solution