My computer's hardware may not support bootting to my SSD (SOLVED!)

Eimantas25

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
Hi,

I bought a Kingston A400 120GB SSD and tried to install Winodws 10 to it. When I selected to install windows to my SSD a warning showed up saying that I can't install to that disk because my hardware might not support booting from that disk.

I've looked up all over the internet, changed SATA controller mode to AHCI, used different sata ports, made partitions in that SSD, updated BIOS, updated motherboard drivers to support AHCI RAID. SSD is not locked, I can read/write from/to it. With the diskpart commands I've cleaned, converted to MBR and back to GPT. Nothing seems to work...

My specs are:
Intel i5 2500k,
Gigabyte H61M-D2H-USB3 rev 1.0
Kingston SA400S37/120G

I guess the only thing left that I can think of is to update motherboard chipset drivers

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

1. We're assuming that Gigabyte MB will support a Win 10 installation and you have verified this possibly with a later BIOS update.

2. I note you mentioned the SSD has been converted to the GPT partitioning scheme. Have you run into the problem you've mentioned when the SSD has been so partitioned? Or has the problem arisen regardless of whether the SSD has been MBR or GPT partitioned?

3. We're assuming you're attempting a fresh-install of the Win OS onto the SSD. Is that right?

4. What is the media to using to install the OS? The Microsoft Media Creation Tool (flash drive? DVD?)

5. You're apparently able to reach the Win 10 Setup, right? Provide the PRECISE error message you receive when you attempt to install the OS onto the SSD.

Eimantas25

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Thanks a lot for answering!

2. The problem was there regardless of whether the SSD has been MBR or GPT partitioned.

3.Yes a fresh install.

4. USB drive

5. Yes, I can reach the point where I have to choose where to install windows as well as format, partition, delete disks. It says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu" It looks exactly like that
FCoE-ge-install-fail.JPG

I should also mention that I've just installed Windows 7 to my SSD, it boots and works like a charm, I only needed to partition the SSD. Also installing Windows 10 on HDD and booting works fine.

1. You've confirmed that the SATA controller mode in the BIOS has been set to AHCI, right?

2. Have you checked with Gigabyte to determine whether a BIOS update is available?

3. You've mentioned you installed Win 7 on the SSD. Are you attempting some sort of dual-boot configuration on this SSD? Or was that installation just a test?

4. We'll presume the drive is MBR-partitioned. You might want to use Diskpart to "clean" the disk and ensure it's MBR-partitioned.

Eimantas25

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

1. Correct
2. Yes, installed latest one
3. Just a test, it seems like its booting without any problems
4. Will do

I'll update how it went

Eimantas25

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
I will send some gifts your way, It is installing without any warnings!

I'll keep my progress updated

Time to bite my nails until the installation is over

"Gettting ready"... I have never been happier seeing this message from Windows! IT WORKED!!!!

I dont know wheater the Win 7 instalation or the MBR partition did it, but everything works, and works great!

I can't thank you enough, I really really appreciate your help! I hope more people who have this issue will find this post and it will help them : )

Relax, I was just joking about those gifts

Eimantas25

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

I've booted successfully, I would guess it was the MBR. Anyway, it works and I've learned something usefull, hopefully one day I can help someone out!

Cheers!