Question My computer's performance is off. Any advice or suggestions?

Jun 5, 2021
I like to play Modern Warfare Warzone a lot but I am experiencing a lot of FPS drops. I also tried streaming as well and I had about a 40 difference fps drop which was absolutely not fun. The most FPS I can get is around 130 but watching it as i play it fluctuates and usually it stays around 80-110. I have my settings on MW the bare minimum as well like mostly everything is on low and im only using about 3428/5980 vram on warzone.

I have a pre-built HP Omen 30L. I rehoused it into a new case and added AIO liquid cooling and more fans. Here are my PC specs:

nvdia geforce rtx 2060
ryzen 7 3700x
16gb ram
500w ps
here is the link for it too for more specs: HP Omen 30L

If you want anymore info let me know! I just want my pc to perform at its best!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see if you've got any BISO updates pending for your prebuilt's motherboard? You will also need to check and see that you're on the latest version of Windows 10. Ideally you should be on version 21H1. Download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, use DDU to uninstall your current GPU drivers, then reboot and then reinstall your GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jun 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see if you've got any BISO updates pending for your prebuilt's motherboard? You will also need to check and see that you're on the latest version of Windows 10. Ideally you should be on version 21H1. Download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, use DDU to uninstall your current GPU drivers, then reboot and then reinstall your GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Thank you for the help! I've updated my windows 10 to 21H1, and uninstalled my gpu drivers then reinstalled them. Now I am having trouble with the updating the motherboard. I have found the version and the date through system information but I do not know what I am looking for in terms of updating it I am genuinely confused!

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add the suggestion that you use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both but only one at a time.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Especially when FPS drops.

Boot your system and open, for example, Resource Monitor and just watch for awhile. Then drag the window to one side where you can continue watching it.

Then do some light browsing, then maybe run a non-game type app for while, lastly play a game, and watch what resource changes take place.

Overall I am wondering if that 500 watt PSU is up to the task.

Make, model, wattage (500), age, condition? Heavy gaming use?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Is the 16GB of RAM one stick, or two?

Generally you can look in task manager under the performance tab, click memory, and it will show slots used x of x. Sometimes it can be a bit misleading, but should at least say 1 of 2 or 2 of 2, maybe of 4.

Jun 5, 2021
Is the 16GB of RAM one stick, or two?

Generally you can look in task manager under the performance tab, click memory, and it will show slots used x of x. Sometimes it can be a bit misleading, but should at least say 1 of 2 or 2 of 2, maybe of 4.
It is two sticks of 8gb RAM and it says slots 2 of 2

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat
Jun 5, 2021
And I will add the suggestion that you use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Boot your system and open, for example, Resource Monitor and just watch for awhile. Then drag the window to one side where you can continue watching it.

Then do some light browsing, then maybe run a non-game type app for while, lastly play a game, and watch what resource changes take place.

I only just got my pc this past Christmas. I would say I heavily use it for gaming I can be on it for 7 hours at a time playing MW.

Jun 5, 2021

So far i've monitored cpu usage with task manager. Just idling 16%, using chrome 16%-20% (opening some websites it will spike up to 30% but then drop back down), while playing MW the game will use 30% while in lobby but in game it shoots up to 50-55%. Now something I noticed when I launched the game (I don't know if this task was present before or not) Service Host Local System, this takes up 22% of the cpu. So while gaming the total percentage with the Service Host, can be as high as 80% cpu being used but it tends to stay around 71.

Jun 5, 2021
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Any corresponding errors, warnings, or even informational events that occur when FPS drops?
So upon opening reliability monitor I see the following: In the past two weeks there's been about 15 critical errors. 3 of them are windows not being shutdown properly. the others are game applications that stopped working properly. One is about MW crashing. One is windows hardware error it happened about 4 days ago. There is some warnings about failed windows updates.

In event viewer the general numbers I see are: In the last hour there's been 0 errors and 1 warning. Past 24 hours there's been 1 error and 12 warnings. Past 7 days there's been 618 errors and 268 warnings. 369 of the errors are for appmodel runtime logged for windows. 200 are split up between DistributedCOM and its logged as system. 156 warnings are for DistributedCOM as well. DeviceSetupManager logged as Microsoft has 5 events and has their own split up amounts of warnings totaling 69. I don't really know what these breakdown mean and such but I thought i'd mention them!

Jun 5, 2021

I have 206 processes running, I don't know which ones I can close besides the ones with obvious names and I know what they are there for.

Jun 5, 2021
Look at Resource Monitor also.
What am I suppose to be looking for in resource monitor because there are several different things it shows but only a couple that show using cpu. the status of the majority of them say running but two only show cpu usage. Am I supposed to be looking at services or processes or both? Currently I only have google open and in Processes it says svchost.exe (netvcs -p) 25 under the cpu column for it and total CPU usage for processes is 32%. Under Services total is 25% and the name of the service is Install Service and its using 25 CPU. I have yet to open my game and monitor it, I just want to know what I am looking for first!