Question My computers' wifi is very slow but on the other devices it works perfectly fine

Apr 1, 2022
PC Spec
i9-9900kf
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC
RAM: Hyper X predator 8x2 16 GB
SSD: WD blue SN550 M.2
PSU:650W
Internet speed
Download 500 Mbps
Upload 200 Mbps

Recently I have had an internet problem with wireless and wired, My pc used to get 100-200 Mbps download and 50-100 Mbps upload. Now the download is 50-130 Mbps and the upload is 5-30 Mbps. It get even worse when I tried to download games on steam it was only able to download 3 Mbps and it drop to kbps the peak is 10-13 Mbps.
The motherboard is capable of 400/400 Mbps download and upload.

Things I tried
-Changing DNS
-Use lan cable
-Check for wifi and lan driver
-Disabling and enabling Windows auto-tuning level in cmd.exe
-Turn off and on the router
-Turn off background apps

Please help I don't know what to do next.

Try disabling lan adapter if you only use wifi. You can also open task manager and see what is running as you download and try closing every program is listed as using resources that is not needed to download. You can also try turning off your virus protection, if it is not windows virus. How full is your ssd? Has the trim optimization been done recently? Did you change any gpu/cpu setting recently? Is the cpu running at proper speeds?

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Considering all your other devices work fine, the issue is limited to your PC. I would download the latest driver for your NIC, uninstall the existing one, and install the latest one. If you are using a standalone wireless card, then we’ll have to dig further.
Additionally, from the cmd prompt, enter ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /renew before doing anything and test again.

Apr 1, 2022
Try disabling lan adapter if you only use wifi. You can also open task manager and see what is running as you download and try closing every program is listed as using resources that is not needed to download. You can also try turning off your virus protection, if it is not windows virus. How full is your ssd? Has the trim optimization been done recently? Did you change any gpu/cpu setting recently? Is the cpu running at proper speeds?
I disable the lan and use wifi still the speed doesn't improve.
When I download the games or any program there is nothing running in the background that is using the internet.
My SSD is 1 TB and it is free 564 GB.
I did not OC or made any changes to my PC and the CPU is running in auto frequency 4.7-5.0 GHz.
I did turn off the windows' anti-virus and it did not improve the speed.

Apr 1, 2022
Considering all your other devices work fine, the issue is limited to your PC. I would download the latest driver for your NIC, uninstall the existing one, and install the latest one. If you are using a standalone wireless card, then we’ll have to dig further.
Additionally, from the cmd prompt, enter ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /renew before doing anything and test again.
I use a wifi mounted on a motherboard, its a intel Wireless-AC 9462 card that came with the motherboard. So I have to reinstall the driver?

I would actually try disabling the wifi and using the lan. Wifi could be something dumb like it is getting poor signal or it is using 2.4 g radio. Way to many variables so it is simpler to test on ethernet being very sure the wifi is disabled. Sometime windows is dumb and if both ethernet and wifi are on it will use the wifi when it should always use the ethernet.

If you still get slow response even on ethernet I would try to boot a USB linux image. This run completely from the USB stick. This will give you a idea if it is a hardware issue or some garbage setting or program in windows.

Apr 1, 2022
I would actually try disabling the wifi and using the lan. Wifi could be something dumb like it is getting poor signal or it is using 2.4 g radio. Way to many variables so it is simpler to test on ethernet being very sure the wifi is disabled. Sometime windows is dumb and if both ethernet and wifi are on it will use the wifi when it should always use the ethernet.

If you still get slow response even on ethernet I would try to boot a USB linux image. This run completely from the USB stick. This will give you a idea if it is a hardware issue or some garbage setting or program in windows.
The lan is still slow.
I don't really know how to do the linux usb thing also is there any other way?

Apr 1, 2022
I might find the solution now. I uninstall a lan manager file which contains cfosspeed of the MSI dragon center and it fixes my upload but my steam still downloads the game very slowly but my at this moment a lot of people are home and use the internet I'll be back when not many people are using it. This is the link to the video that fixed it.
View: https://youtu.be/vupID_PCMGQ

YUP software like CFOSspeed is one of the dumbest software I have seen in years.

They like to pretend that you can somehow reduce thing like network latency and data contention. This is only true INSIDE the machine, ie trying to fix delays between the chips almost. Almost all network problems are between different machines and there is no software you can run on your machine that can really limit traffic on another machine. It is purely marketing but it would be much better if it actually did nothing. Since the path your data take to the network card is more complex, ie it has to run through this software, just leads to all kinds of strange issues.

It would be nice if more people had really basic knowledge as it appears you have. You know that other users traffic might affect your download rates. Any form of QoS would have to be done on the router and not on end devices. But it sells more motherboards I guess or so many vendors would not ship this bloatware.

The only use I could ever see is someone who thinks they should run torrent downloads on their machine and at the game time. I just roll my eyes at someone doing something stupid and then thinking they can use magic software to fix it.

Reactions: Phillip_Sparks