My connection is fine but I can't connect to game servers at all. Trying to access router website but can't?

newtotechs

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
Hi, I'm new to this site and English isn't my first language but I'm learning how to handle certain things by myself. Every two days or so I will lose the ability to access any and all game servers but browsing the internet works the same as usual. Unplugging and replugging the router puts it back to normal.

There are two problems with this though:
-I live upstairs and my router is one-storey below my computer, and it is located behind a tightly locked door. My relatives come home late and only fix it when the entire connection is down (browsing included). There are certain times where they will stay overnight somewhere else, which is detrimental for me in an MMO where missing a single day means you'll be very behind.
-Unplugging and replugging the router doesn't address the issue, because the server connection problems always happen again within 1-2 days.

So I've been trying to remotely reboot the router instead. My IPv4 address is 192.168.5.11 and my default gateway is 192.168.5.1, but I'll get this "192.168.5.1 refused to connect" message whenever I enter it on url. I tried doing an ip renew and a dnsflush but they did not yield any results.

I then tried to look up my ISP on google search to personally call my service providers to reset my router but all I could gather from it is something called "google bot". I'm not sure what that means though.

I also tried to use VMware but I'm not experienced with it and haven't gotten around to buying blank CDs yet. I'm not sure if it will allow me to play my multiplayer games even if I could get it to work though. I also considered getting a remote power switch, but I'm not sure about this option yet.

I'm in a bit of a pickle atm, I can't access my router page even though I'm an admin... Remotely rebooting it would be quite easy to do if I could. I'm also fairly certain that my firewall isn't related to the problem. Help will be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Hi

Most routers have the default IP address of 192.168.1.1, so the fact that your router's IP is 192.168.5.1 leads me to believe that at one point or another it was configured manually. That being said, it is very possible that the http access is disabled. Still, even if that's the case, there are a few ways to access your router.

The first one that comes to mind is SSH or CLI access. It's most likely not disabled since whoever configured your router still needed to access it themselves. If you have a computer with a Linux OS you can access the router by entering this command in the terminal: ssh root@192.168.5.1. Or if you're using windows you can access it with a program called PuTTY. But you will still need the user name and...

dziugss

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hi

Most routers have the default IP address of 192.168.1.1, so the fact that your router's IP is 192.168.5.1 leads me to believe that at one point or another it was configured manually. That being said, it is very possible that the http access is disabled. Still, even if that's the case, there are a few ways to access your router.

The first one that comes to mind is SSH or CLI access. It's most likely not disabled since whoever configured your router still needed to access it themselves. If you have a computer with a Linux OS you can access the router by entering this command in the terminal: ssh root@192.168.5.1. Or if you're using windows you can access it with a program called PuTTY. But you will still need the user name and password of the router to do this and, if it is as I suspect it to be, it could be changed too.

If you're not familiar with SSH, the simple option would be to do a factory reset. But since you don't have remote access to the router, to do a factory reset you would need to gain physical access to the router. After the reset, all of the router's settings are set back to default and you should be able to access it with a default username and password.

WARNING! If you are not the owner of the router, I strongly suggest not doing this without the knowledge and permission of the actual owners. Or, if that is the case, try asking the owners if they know anything about it.

In conclusion, these are the few ways that I can think up for you to access your router. But it doesn't mean this the best solution to your problem. Maybe there is something wrong with the router physically and it needs to be replaced. The rebooting is just a temporary solution. Anyway, the best of luck solving your problem!

Solution