[SOLVED] my core i7 6700 3,4ghz temps are going so high that my cpu clocks itself on 0.20ghz

Apr 22, 2020
So two days ago i was just doing some gaming on my pc and later came to an idea to clean my pc. After cleaning it I turned it on and started a game. The game was laggy as hell and in the end my pc freezed so i had to restart it. After a restart i found out that my cpu temps are rising hella fast. In about 10minutes they went up to 100degrees while idle and in task manager my cpu was locked 0,20ghz. Some time later i got a blue screen saying that my pc ran into a problem and needs to reboot.
So the first thing that came into my mind was replacing the thermal paste so I did it.
After the change of paste i turned on my pc and the problem was still there.
In about 10minutes of being idle(low load)my cpu went up to 100c and again 0.20ghz.
I’ve tried changing the thermal paste, reseting bios settings and reinstalling my cooler.
One thing that got me thinking was that maybe my temp sensor is broken but I’m no tech pro so I don’t know for sure.
I would be so thankful if someone has the solution for this, it’s kinda boring without my pc during quarantine.
And also im using a Enermax LiqMax II 240 cooler on my intel i7 6700 cpu.

Last edited:
Solution
It could very possibly be a dead pump, it's fairly common in old aios.

How old is like pretty old? I dont know about enermax, but some aios(corsair for example) have upwards of 5 year warranties.

Both tubes should be warm, with a slight difference between them. Not one boiling hot and the other cold.
Being that its heating so quickly, I'd guess either bad mounting pressure or the pump has failed.

Does it have software to monitor pump rpm, etc? Can you feel the pump working or hear it?

What's the temp of the tubes? The radiator?

When you reinstalled you did make sure to plug everything back in correctly? Pump, fans, etc.

Apr 22, 2020
Being that its heating so quickly, I'd guess either bad mounting pressure or the pump has failed.

Does it have software to monitor pump rpm, etc? Can you feel the pump working or hear it?

What's the temp of the tubes? The radiator?

When you reinstalled you did make sure to plug everything back in correctly? Pump, fans, etc.
I don’t know about the software yet but Im sure i can’t run it bcause it’s impossible to do anything with a pc like this :D. Your question about the pump sound got me thinking so I’ll try to look into it next time i boot up my pc.
One of the tubes is hot and the other one is cold but I have not touched the radiator yet.
And yes, Im sure i connected everything correctly bcause all the fans are working and the light on the pump turns on. Could the pump just be dead? I mean the cooler is like pretty old.

How old is like pretty old? I dont know about enermax, but some aios(corsair for example) have upwards of 5 year warranties.

Both tubes should be warm, with a slight difference between them. Not one boiling hot and the other cold.

Solution
Apr 22, 2020

It’s like two and a half years old so i believe that the problem might be in that. I will try a different cooler and see if it makes any difference. But if the problem is not in the cooler is there more things I should look at?

It’s like two and a half years old so i believe that the problem might be in that. I will try a different cooler and see if it makes any difference. But if the problem is not in the cooler is there more things I should look at?
Yes, but one step at a time.

Before you replace the cooler try a couple things. Make sure the block is actually making good contact. By removing and inspecting paste, replace again and reinstall.
With the pc on push on the block. Note any temp changes. If it changes drastically, tighten the block.

Any decent budget cooler should cool that 6700. A hyper 212 is probably plenty.