My Core i7 Temps Seem Off...

myfootsmells

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Computer runs fine so what's up with my temps?

corei7temp.gif

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
We need to know more things about your build my friend. What kind of overclock do you have. Are you running prime95 at that point or are those idle temps. Are you using the stock heatsink? Please give us more information.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Those temps are actually pretty good. My Q6600 non overclocked with stock cooling runs max out after an intense Crysis run at about 94 so your temps aren't that bad. Mine are only so low because I have 8 140mm fans running maxed out simultaneously, but no my machine is not loud at all... seriously. if you want those temps down stock up on fans and get an after market cooler.

Good?

What are you talking about? No desktop CPU should run at 100C. What cooler are you running? Also, is it stock or overclocked? The first thing I'd do is check if the heatsink is seated properly. While it is running, with the side removed, carefully press down on the top of the CPU cooler. If the temps drop, you need to reseat your cooler - it isn't attached properly.

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I'm surprised it's running at all at those temps.

mamw93 - wtf ????? ... eight fans going flat out and a temp of 94 and you think that's ok ??? lmao......

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
My i7 920 (@3.11GHz) is 40c idle and 70c load with a huge HSF, Vigor Monsoon III LT and even that is disappointing for me.

We need to know more about your system but 100c is definitely not good, probably not even safe.

gjones2525

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
i am having the same problem this is my first build. I have an i7 920 with intel dx58so. 6gb ram, bfg gtx260 a middle of the line heat sink but by no means good. i have 2 side fans one front and the fan blowing out the back. on idle with Core Temp it says running 69-82c sometimes. Its so frustrateing i have used lots of thermal paste to very little thermal past i have more 120 fans on order but the air coming out the back is pretty dang cool. i am at a complete loss. My bios is all running the stock. I dont really know what means what in there and i am not looking to over clock just run the computer without my chip melting. ugh so frustrating. please please any ideas would be amazing. just another note pressing on my heatsink doesnt change the temp and also the heatsink i got people were saying they had way better success with it on the i7 running stock at like 40 or even 50 wihc would be fine but averageing 70c at idle is frustrating. prime 95 sent it into 99-100c instantly.

Reseat the cooler. When you take it off, check out the impression the thermal paste made. If it's spread in a big oval over the middle of the heatspreader on the CPU, you've a decent connection.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Doesn't anyone read the damned Stickies? How many times do I have to repost the same information ???

Intel's Core i7 Specifications:

Vcore Max 1.375
Tcase Max (CPU tempurature) 68c
Tjunction (Core Temperature) 73c

PLEASE READ Section 6 in the Sticky at the top of this Forum before asking questions !!!

Comp :sol:

gjones2525

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Thank you Frozen. i appreciate it. And tronix if i made you mad i am sorry i dont realize what your talking about. like i said first build. i do appreciate all your guys help. i think i might just order a better heatsink and hope that does the trick.

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
How did you possibly get a screen shot of that? The CPU shuts down when it hits 100 degrees.

P.S., what's with the guy who thinks those are good? lol