My Corsair CXM 550w PSU and will it be enough for my build(and possible future upgrades)?

baconlord5123

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
I recently got myself a new PSU for the build I'm planning out. I have a Corsair CXM 550W Semi-Modular PSU. It's 80+ Bronze rated so that's definitely a plus. I want to know if that'll be enough for my build(it should be according to pcpartpicker but you never know) and maybe potential future upgrades(Ryzen 7 or maybe another GTX 1070 for SLI or something). I do plan to overclock both the CPU and the GPU as well.

My current build:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600--($174)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Esports ONE Freezer 33--($32)
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix x370-F Gaming--($120(heck of a deal ik))
RAM: Team Group T-Force Delta 2x4gb RGB(or something along those lines)--($90)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Gaming--($369)
SSD: Inland Professional 120gb (Or maybe a Silicon Power 128gb)
HDD: WD Blue 1tb
PSU: Corsair CXM 550W Semi-Modular--($59 with a $20 mail in rebate)

I currently have all the parts except for the storage drives and the GPU is on its way so that's very nice. I am able to return it for another couple of days(10 days) thanks to Newegg, but I did open the packaging and the bag the cables were in.

On a side note, I have booted up the "PC" a couple of times to do bios updates and such with the bootkit from AMD(turns out my mobo was already Ryzen 2000 compatible but I didn't know lol), and I have heard this whining noise from the PSU. I know that it's coil whine, and I don't think it'll be too noticeable once inside my case but this does worry me a bit...

Anyways, if anybody has any suggestions for a PSU around the same price that's maybe better or whatever, please let me know. Thanks!

Solution
You're not going to get much better at that price on the PSU. The CXM 550w is a good budget unit and will be fine for the build you listed, and should handle upgrades up to a Ryzen 7 2xxx + GTX 1080 for example. That said, it won't handle 1070 SLI as you listed. It's recommended you have at least a good 650-750w unit for that and judging on reviews i've seen, anything below an efficient 600w will not power that effectively under load, especially if you're overclocking them. If you're set on going 1070 SLI sometime down the track (which i wouldn't recommend due to SLI loosing support and scaling isn't the greatest in a lot of games) over just getting a stronger GPU like a 1080 Ti or RTX 2xxx which will be a far better upgrade and you...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
You're not going to get much better at that price on the PSU. The CXM 550w is a good budget unit and will be fine for the build you listed, and should handle upgrades up to a Ryzen 7 2xxx + GTX 1080 for example. That said, it won't handle 1070 SLI as you listed. It's recommended you have at least a good 650-750w unit for that and judging on reviews i've seen, anything below an efficient 600w will not power that effectively under load, especially if you're overclocking them. If you're set on going 1070 SLI sometime down the track (which i wouldn't recommend due to SLI loosing support and scaling isn't the greatest in a lot of games) over just getting a stronger GPU like a 1080 Ti or RTX 2xxx which will be a far better upgrade and you shouldn't need to upgrade Power Supply for it. But it's your choice and if you want SLI, consider getting a good 650-750w PSU. Hope this helps! :)

Solution

baconlord5123

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think Newegg will accept my return. I kinda opened the package and all that so yeah.