[SOLVED] My CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 1600) Underperforming in games - mainly League of Legends

Sep 9, 2022
Built in late 2017:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK (MS-7A34)

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060-6GB

Began to notice issues after deep cleaning PC with compressed air. It was not my first time (1-2 times yearly). Issues include performance and requiring PSU switch flip in order to wake PC from sleep.

Noticed League of Legends FPS performing way below what I am used to seeing. After steadily being over 100 FPS and never noticing any dips, I recently have been around 80 and seeing dips to 50fps in teamfights.

UserBenchmark scored my PC as performing well below expectations for all components aside from GPU.

I have tried doing some investigative research, however, I am no expert when it comes to interpreting overclocking, temperatures, or CPU-Z analysis (for instance). Additionally, CPU% levels from background processes are not at all high according to task manager so I am willing to rule that out from possible causes.

It would be greatly appreciated if I could have some guidance with regards to finding the culprit of this low performance.

Solution
I'll bet money it's the cpu cooler needing a repaste. Ryzens boost according to core voltages, loads and temps. Stock paste has a nasty habit of drying out, which normally isn't any issue at all as the 'paste' is just a medium to contain the silicate and minerals that Are responsible for the heat transfer. So if the paste dries, it doesn't affect thermal transfer on the slightest. Until the cpu cooler is bumped or moved, and that seal gets broken.

Then it's no different to caulking that's lost its hold on a tile, cannot restick, never waterproof again.

I'll bet if you look at your temps, they've gone up considerably, which will make the Ryzen boost lower to downgrade the temps, so you loose performance and fps as a result.

Cpu: Base...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'll bet money it's the cpu cooler needing a repaste. Ryzens boost according to core voltages, loads and temps. Stock paste has a nasty habit of drying out, which normally isn't any issue at all as the 'paste' is just a medium to contain the silicate and minerals that Are responsible for the heat transfer. So if the paste dries, it doesn't affect thermal transfer on the slightest. Until the cpu cooler is bumped or moved, and that seal gets broken.

Then it's no different to caulking that's lost its hold on a tile, cannot restick, never waterproof again.

I'll bet if you look at your temps, they've gone up considerably, which will make the Ryzen boost lower to downgrade the temps, so you loose performance and fps as a result.

Cpu: Base 3.6GHz, Turbo 1.35GHz.....

Solution
Sep 9, 2022

Cpu: Base 3.6GHz, Turbo 1.35GHz.....
reapplied thermal paste and all issues appear to be resolved! thanks for the insight :)

You might also check to see what bios updates are available for your board. I’ve got an Asrock ab350 pro 4 board. They actually began supporting ryzen 5000 series with a beta bios, so I used to a 5600x. You can find them on eBay for 150-160, though I saw someone had a 5700g for 180 also. Anyway depending on your budget you might be able to get a nice upgrade that will hold you over a couple more years.