[SOLVED] My CPU and GPU are on very low % when playing games

PavleRon

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
When im playing league of legends(for example) i get from 120-150fps mid late game, with only 20% cpu usage(does not exceed it,even with opened other programs like chrome etc.) And GPU running at max 15% usage, it doesnt matter on video settings from ultra to low its the same, i think this is weird and im not getting the most of my pc, and frames as i should, anyone can help, highly appreciated!

Solution
I suggest that you check the bios if it has any option for power saving which could be changed to maximize the performance and also check power settings in windows as well.

PavleRon

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
When im playing league of legends(for example) i get from 120-150fps mid late game, with only 20% cpu usage(does not exceed it,even with opened other programs like chrome etc.) And GPU running at max 15% usage, it doesnt matter on video settings from ultra to low its the same, i think this is weird and im not getting the most of my pc, and frames as i should, anyone can help, highly appreciated!
Edit:
My system specs are following:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight Core processor

HyperCloud 2x8 16gb ram

Windows 10 pro

GPU GeForce Gtx 1660

All parts are new, and have not been used more than 5 days.

Gpu drivers are up to date, and temps while gaming and not, are perfect!

PavleRon

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Have you considered the fact this may be by design from the creators of the game? It may as well be assembled in a clever way so that the users doesn't get a huge electrical bill and short lifetime for GPU, PSU and mobo.
i dont think its clever giving tyhe players a bad experience, with low frames , i dont think so, but thanks for reply !

Your GPU and CPU are not running at higher usage because they dont need to. Most people use a normal 60Hz monitor, which only displays 60FPS in actual frames, though a higher FPS can appear smoother. If this is the case with you, then the fact that you are "only" getting 150FPS does not change anything. Unless you have a high refresh rate monitor, which you havent mentioned, then its not even worth your time or the "lost performance" to fix, since nothing would change anyway, other than the usage number for the PC going up. Even the LoL website on hardware requirements says that 90+ FPS is pro-tier, and doesnt bother to measure higher FPS on their charts. I do not personally play the game, but from what I do know, it is not a game where raw FPS can be the difference between winning and loosing, like an esports first person shooter title.

That being said, limits could be caused by the game architecture, or a limit that is in place, like an FPS limit, or a power limit.

PavleRon

Prominent
Jun 2, 2020
Your GPU and CPU are not running at higher usage because they dont need to. Most people use a normal 60Hz monitor, which only displays 60FPS in actual frames, though a higher FPS can appear smoother. If this is the case with you, then the fact that you are "only" getting 150FPS does not change anything. Unless you have a high refresh rate monitor, which you havent mentioned, then its not even worth your time or the "lost performance" to fix, since nothing would change anyway, other than the usage number for the PC going up. Even the LoL website on hardware requirements says that 90+ FPS is pro-tier, and doesnt bother to measure higher FPS on their charts. I do not personally play the game, but from what I do know, it is not a game where raw FPS can be the difference between winning and loosing, like an esports first person shooter title.

That being said, limits could be caused by the game architecture, or a limit that is in place, like an FPS limit, or a power limit.
Im using Samsung Gaming monitor 144hz, my power limit is set for maximum performance, i do not cap fps, and when i did i put it on 144fps, i just feel like i should be getting way more fps, i do play league competitively alongside with some firstpersonshooters too, it doesnt affect me almost nothing for gameplay, im just curios why am i not getting more fps, and why my pc is almost doing nothing(20%cpu-15%gpu, ram30%) why doesnt it go for 100% cpu,gpu and give me like 400fps, and not struggling to maintain my monitors refresh rate. weird all in all

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
I suggest that you check the bios if it has any option for power saving which could be changed to maximize the performance and also check power settings in windows as well.

Solution