My cpu: ati 5770 or 5850

xedap

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I was wondering if my cpu can handle a 5850 ($255) or would I be better off getting a 5770($148).

Currently running an e5200 R0 oc@ 3.33 ghz on a asus p5kpl
I can OC up to 3.7 stable and still get good temps on air but I've been keeping it low unless I need the power.
Resolution 1920x1080

I mainly play first person shooters/RPG/mmorpgs: crysis, mass effect 1&2, later on ffxiv ect.

Prices are cheap right now so Im itching to pull the trigger, thanks!

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I'd definitely hit up the 5850. Your CPU with that OC should be enough to not bottleneck the 5850 at that resolution. Remeber- the lower the resolution, the more the bottleneck shifts toward the CPU and the higher the resolution, the more the bottleneck shifts to the GPU.

xedap

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

ooh thanks for the info i didnt know that.

Where have you found an HD5850 for $255 btw?

Tigerdirect has 15% bing CB right now,

sapphire 5850 = $300 - $45cb + free shipping + no tax = 255
visiontek 5850 = $310 - $46.50 = $263.50

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
based on what you have id say the 5850 i have it and i havent looked back it will run everything your wanting to quite impressively (for a single GPU), at the same time there has been some greyscreening with the 5xxx series and some of the 4xxx series cards however i havent experianced it personally mine works perfectly (ASUS5850).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-Grey-Screen-Crash,9529.html

dont get too freaked out by it like i said my 5850 and many others worked perfectly the first time.

though if you are not in a hurry i would look at the gtx3xx series based on their make up they will be somewhat revolutionary and very very good im not a fanboy of ati or nvidia so im taking this at an even perspective, ive heard they are glitchy at the moment but they should be perfected by their release. take a look at their makeup and how they run, you should find it impressive (though at the same time when they come out they will be a good amount more expensive)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gf100-fermi-directx-11,2536.html

Good Luck finding the card you want

notty22

Distinguished

ATI worked with codemasters on Dirt2, I read the results by many top tech sites and their take on what they saw, happening. This game is patched and I would say the game has just lost performance under dx10, its like a dx11 patch that focused on one area and you would not normally apply it and then try to run the game under dx10. There is a disclaimer under the seconds sites results : Results not comparable to earlier reviews. And has noted by the comments under the article when Tesselation was enabled the results showed what we saw in Dirt 2, about a 30% hit.
So Stalker: Call of Pripyatwas faster when in name only it was running under dx11, but with tesselation enabled it ran much slower.

edit: It would be interesting if there was something to that, that there was more performance with some dx11 implementation even if no tesseleation was present. More performance leaves headroom for more AA. I have just seen no one present that as possible/fact.

TRENDING THREADS