Question My CPU Clockspeed Drops As Soon As I Open A Game.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
my computer is as bad as it gets, but it can hold up in some games, and its not to do with thermal throttling because the temps are always at 40 - 50 degrees when i open games. (thats my idle because i dont have a heatsink, i only have a fan what does f*ck all to the cpu). anyways, i cant make the cpu sit at a set frequency because my motherboard wont allow it. is there any way at all i can make cpu sit at its max frequency always, because it seems to do that when its idle but as soon as i open a game it instantly drops to 0.8 - 1.8ghz. its on high performance mode and i dont know what else i can do, is there a program that can solve this? any help would be amazing, thanks in advance :)
specs:
acer aspire 315-22
cpu: amd a9-9420e
gpu: radeon r5
memory: 8gb 933mhz
ssd: 256 m.2

If you do not cool a cpu, it will heat up once it starts to do anything heavy.
When a cpu gets too hot, it will lower it's multiplier, trying to cope with the heat and reduce it.
Laptop coolers need to be small and light, therefore, they are notoriously inefficient.
Still, I highly doubt that you do not have a cooler installed.
A running fan is a necessity to keep a cpu cool enough to do useful work.
Check your airways to insure that you are getting good airflow.
It may be that there is dust and possibly your cooler needs new paste and must be remounted.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
If you do not cool a cpu, it will heat up once it starts to do anything heavy.
When a cpu gets too hot, it will lower it's multiplier, trying to cope with the heat and reduce it.
Laptop coolers need to be small and light, therefore, they are notoriously inefficient.
Still, I highly doubt that you do not have a cooler installed.
A running fan is a necessity to keep a cpu cool enough to do useful work.
Check your airways to insure that you are getting good airflow.
It may be that there is dust and possibly your cooler needs new paste and must be remounted.
I can not take a photo of it as of yet, the laptop I can asure you it has no heatsink nor dust in the fan, the laptops not even 1 year old so thermal paste has not point in being redone. Look up on the internet Acer aspire a315-22 tear down and you may be able to find one picture.

You do have a heat sink.
Over the cpu chip there is a cooler plate with a copper heat pipe that leads to a finned area where a fan blows air through it.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...hUKEwjzoMCnuarqAhWFZq0KHccxCakQMygQegUIARDYAQ
The copper tube transmits cpu heat to the finned radiator where the heat is expelled into the air.

Verify that the fan runs.
See that the copper fins are clear.
Do not run the laptop on a soft surface which might obstruct the air intake on the bottom of the case.
Lastly, it is possible that the part over the cpu chip has come loose and needs a change of thermal grease.
You could also try a laptop cooling pad.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
You do have a heat sink.
Over the cpu chip there is a cooler plate with a copper heat pipe that leads to a finned area where a fan blows air through it.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HrDRDkunfD0/maxresdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrDRDkunfD0&tbnid=pBGYgkVLOFdAjM&vet=12ahUKEwjzoMCnuarqAhWFZq0KHccxCakQMygQegUIARDYAQ..i&docid=k_mn27w440ZqXM&w=1280&h=720&q=acer aspire a315-22&ved=2ahUKEwjzoMCnuarqAhWFZq0KHccxCakQMygQegUIARDYAQ
The copper tube transmits cpu heat to the finned radiator where the heat is expelled into the air.

Verify that the fan runs.
See that the copper fins are clear.
Do not run the laptop on a soft surface which might obstruct the air intake on the bottom of the case.
Lastly, it is possible that the part over the cpu chip has come loose and needs a change of thermal grease.
You could also try a laptop cooling pad.
That’s not what mine looks like, I have a metal plate over it, and when I unscrew the metal plate there is thermal paste. I don’t know why whenever you look up my laptop it comes up with a different model. Where the hard drive is in that photo, it’s just free space. My laptop is very, very strange.