[SOLVED] My CPU cooler has 3 fans but came with only a 2-fan splitter - can I use any after-market fan splitter?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
Hey team, i just found an interesting oddity in my cpu cooler

ive used this cooler with no problems. it is a Chinese no-brand fan from Alibaba that I purchased for a project system (intel i3-10105f)

the cpu cooler has 3 fans (yes, 3), but only uses a 2-fan splitter, as 2 of the fans are connected to the same "header", and the other fan on its own (so 2 female connectors in total)

I am looking to replace the fan splitter, so now I am wondering if it is safe to use any after-market fan splitter to replace the ones that it came with

tldr; are after-market fan splitters equal? can i use a 2-fan splitter for a 3-fans (since it only has 2 male connectors?

Solution

ive used this cooler with no problems. it is a Chinese no-brand fan from Alibaba that I purchased for a project system (intel i3-10105f)

the cpu cooler has 3 fans (yes, 3), but only uses a 2-fan splitter, as 2 of the fans are connected to the same "header", and the other fan on its own (so 2 female connectors in total)

I am looking to replace the fan splitter, so now I am wondering if it is safe to use any after-market fan splitter to replace the ones that it came with

tldr; are after-market fan splitters equal? can i use a 2-fan splitter for a 3-fans (since it only has 2 male connectors?
With a "no name" device, you can't use a manufacturer webpage to get...

kanewolf

Titan

With a "no name" device, you can't use a manufacturer webpage to get technical info. You will have to look at the fans and find an amperage. Then you will have to find the amperage your motherboard supports on a fan header. Compare 3x fan amperage against motherboard support. If less than you can swap. If not, then no.

Solution
Many motherboards will have multiple fan headers that can be speed controlled.
Just attach the second fan to one of them.

Of interest, can you post a photo of this cooler?
Do you really need it?
I3-10100 retail comes with a perfectly adequate stock cooler.