Question My CPU cooler is not compatible with my MB and my case

Jun 7, 2022
Hello,

I recently bought this CPU cooler:

However, I am a bit disappointed because:
1) My case can't close because the side panel is touching the top of this CPU cooler
Case: https://www.enermaxeu.com/fr/products/cases/atx/skalene/
2) My motherboard has the power connector just below the 2nd fan so I can't use the 2nd fan
Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H410M-S2H-rev-1x#kf

So currently, I am using this CPU cooler, with:
  1. My case opened (the side panel is removed)
  2. The 2nd fan removed (so single fan mode)
I would like to fix at least the problem 1).
I would like a cheap case that I can close (the side panel used).

Do you know how to be sure that the case will be compatible with my CPU cooler?
Do you have some case recommendations?

Thank you.
Best regards.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The specs of the case show 165mm clearance for air coolers. The MA624 is 160mm tall and they provide a 120mm fan if the ram is too tall for the 140mm front fan.
So there shouldn't be any problems with height... unless you're trying to fit it with the side panel fan, which isn't happening. It shouldn't be necessary anymore either, so remove it.

As for the 2nd problem: take the 120mm fan, install it in the center. The 140mm fan, install it at the back.

Reactions: KyaraM
Jun 7, 2022
The specs of the case show 165mm clearance for air coolers. The MA624 is 160mm tall and they provide a 120mm fan if the ram is too tall for the 140mm front fan.
So there shouldn't be any problems with height... unless you're trying to fit it with the side panel fan, which isn't happening. It shouldn't be necessary anymore either, so remove it.

Yes, I confirm, in the specs:
  • case: 165mm clearance for air coolers
  • cpu cooler: 160mm tall
So, in theory, it should work.
However, in practice, it does not work.
The reason I think is that the shape of the side panel is not a simple rectangle.
So, at the borders of the panel, the clearance is lower than in the center of the panel.
Thus, the top of the CPU cooler is touching the border of the side panel and I can't use my side panel.
I don't understand what do you suggest to remove please?

As for the 2nd problem: take the 120mm fan, install it in the center. The 140mm fan, install it at the back.

Indeed, I will try that thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, that part of the side panel that doesn't 'pop out'. I see, that could be a problem.
Not a lot to be done as it's an integrated physical limitation. Removing the spoiler might knock off 1mm... If that's no dice, that leaves returning that cooler and getting a different one.
I wouldn't say a new case to be the next option, because then this situation doesn't change: 2)"My motherboard has the power connector just below the 2nd fan so I can't use the 2nd fan."

Jun 7, 2022
Ah, that part of the side panel that doesn't 'pop out'. I see, that could be a problem.
Not a lot to be done as it's an integrated physical limitation. Removing the spoiler might knock off 1mm...

Yes, you found the problem it's here.
However, I am not sure what is the part you suggest to remove.
What is the spoiler exactly?
Can you give me more details?
I am very unlucky because I just need some mm more between the side of the case and the top of the CPU cooler to be able to close the side panel.
So, maybe your suggestion could work.

If that's no dice, that leaves returning that cooler and getting a different one.
I wouldn't say a new case to be the next option, because then this situation doesn't change: 2)"My motherboard has the power connector just below the 2nd fan so I can't use the 2nd fan."

I was looking for this CPU cooler for a while and I got it at a very good price, so I would like to keep it.
Moreover, as I have not bought it on Amazon, I will probably have difficulties to return it to the sender.

Your power connector to the motherboard is in the standard place so that should be no problem.
What processor are you using with that motherboard, the Vram is crap so you should be using a low end processor that don't need that much of a cooler.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10GHz
The 2nd fan can't be placed correctly because of 3 things: the power connector, the SATA port for my SSD, and the USB3 front panel connector.

I have just did some tests and indeed the 2nd fan is completely useless for my CPU.
In fact, in single fan mode, my CPU can't reach the thermal junction temperature (100°C).
It reaches only ~60°C for 100% usage on all cores during 2 min.
I did the test with Prime95 on Windows and the Mesa 3D Graphics Library build on Linux.
I think it's fine, the problem 2) is fixed because I don't need the 2nd fan.
So, it's just a case problem.
I would like to have a bit more space on the side (probably less than 1 cm is enough).
I think I will buy some cheap cases on Amazon until finding one that is compatible with my CPU cooler.
During this time I will keep my case open, I have no choice.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What is the spoiler exactly?
This piece:
IMG_9782-copy-scaled.jpg

I was looking for this CPU cooler for a while and I got it at a very good price, so I would like to keep it.
Moreover, as I have not bought it on Amazon, I will probably have difficulties to return it to the sender.
Ah well. Provide a link to a store you shop from, as well as the budget, and I'll take a look, plus suggest a few cases.

Jun 7, 2022
This piece:
IMG_9782-copy-scaled.jpg

Ah well. Provide a link to a store you shop from, as well as the budget, and I'll take a look, plus suggest a few cases.

OK now I see exactly the part to remove.
However, are there instructions to remove it?
I don't know how to do that.
I guess I have to remove the 2 screws at the top but I don't want to brake my new CPU cooler so I would like to do it following a tutorial.
If I am able to remove this part, I won't need to buy a new case and I won't need to return the CPU cooler.

I bought my CPU cooler here https://www.rueducommerce.fr/ at the price 69.90 EUR (+ 3.99 EUR shipping charges).

Jun 7, 2022
There's 2 screws securing it to the heatsink, yes? Removing those should let you remove it...

When I did the unboxing, the 2 screws, the spoiler and the heatsink were all together in one piece.
These 2 screws are used to fix this piece to the motherboard supports.
So, I don't know if removing these 2 screws completely from this piece is possible.
Also, I don't know if removing these 2 screws will help to remove the spoiler.
Maybe there's something else to remove or I have to do a pressure somewhere after removing the screws in order to remove the spoiler.
That's why I would like to see some instructions to be sure about the process for removing the spoiler.

That's the budget for a new case?

No, it's the price of the CPU cooler.
I thought that was what you asked.
The budget for a new case is 40 EUR.
I found this one: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...er-Gaming-Case/p/CC-9011130-WW#tab-tech-specs
I like it and it has 170 mm clearance for the CPU cooler but the price is currently twice my budget.

The price of the cooler, if I read TC correctly.

Yes that's it.

By the way, do you see that there is a difference between the official height of the CPU cooler (160 mm) and the one on the tom's hardware article (165.1 mm)?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html
If it's not an error in this article, it means that the CPU cooler can't fit into my current case (165 mm of clearance for the CPU cooler).
That could explain the problem.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When I did the unboxing, the 2 screws, the spoiler and the heatsink were all together in one piece.
These 2 screws are used to fix this piece to the motherboard supports.
So, I don't know if removing these 2 screws completely from this piece is possible.
Also, I don't know if removing these 2 screws will help to remove the spoiler.
Maybe there's something else to remove or I have to do a pressure somewhere after removing the screws in order to remove the spoiler.
That's why I would like to see some instructions to be sure about the process for removing the spoiler.
Well that's a bummer... let's leave it alone then.

The budget for a new case is 40 EUR.
I found this one: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...er-Gaming-Case/p/CC-9011130-WW#tab-tech-specs
I like it and it has 170 mm clearance for the CPU cooler but the price is currently twice my budget.
Ouch. That's not much wiggle room.
I couldn't find anything within that budget, even on the rueducommerce site.
Sorry, it might be better to swap the cooler for something like a Cryorig H7 Ultra...

I got mixed feelings about that Corsair case. It does ok if one doesn't go too big on cpu and gpu; the higher total system power gets, the greater the challenge of managing thermals(and possibly noise).
It's a negative pressure focused case, meaning exhaust is stronger than intake. Trying to fight against that can be detrimental to cooling.
Plus it appears to be a rather cramped case for cables.
I got all that from an older Kitguru review.

By the way, do you see that there is a difference between the official height of the CPU cooler (160 mm) and the one on the tom's hardware article (165.1 mm)?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html
If it's not an error in this article, it means that the CPU cooler can't fit into my current case (165 mm of clearance for the CPU cooler).
That could explain the problem.
That means Cooler Master has their own bloody info wrong. I'm seeing 160mm height posted on their site, for crying out loud...
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/masterair-ma624-stealth/#specifications

Reactions: KyaraM
Jun 7, 2022
I bought a TACENS ANIMA ACX case for only 30 EUR and even if it's a bit hard to place every components in a small case like that, it was enough for my Cooler Master MA624 CPU Cooler and my XFX SWFT 210 graphics card. I am very happy of this case.
The Cooler Master support old me that the middle fan inside the radiator can't be removed at all! It comes in one piece. That's a shame isn't it? We can't replace this fan.