[SOLVED] My CPU cooler wont fit my MOBO, please help! :(

Seltop

Reputable
Dec 11, 2019
Well I just finished my first pc build and I had a problem:
My CPU cooler wont fit my MOBO! I was wondering if anyone knows how to solve the problem...

My specs are :
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600x
MOBO: b450m mortar titanium https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-TITANIUM
CPU COOLER THAT APPARAENTLY WONT FIT: H100i RGB Platinum SE https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Dual-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H100i-RGB-PLATINUM-SE-240mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060041-WW

i realllllllly need helpppppppp.....

Solution
What's what? The user manual or the AMD bracket? If you don't know the answer to either of those questions, then you didn't actually read the manual or watch the videos I posted, and that is likely the entire problem from start to finish.

Or, you're simply trolling. There's not much sympathy to be found for anybody who can't be bothered to even read the manual that comes with that hardware, IF that's the case.

A5M3v4I.png
What makes you think it won't fit the motherboard?

It has the same socket configuration as EVERY other B450 motherboard. Of course it will fit. You are simply doing something wrong or using the wrong hardware from the cooler installation kit which comes with hardware for both AMD and Intel platforms, and probably multiple platforms from both camps. You need to be sure you are trying to use the RIGHT hardware kit as far as backplates, standoffs, screws/fasterners, etc. There are there. The cooler supports your platform. It is you, not the cooler.

As far as whether or not the cooler works with your case, that is a different story, since we have no idea what case you have. But there should be no issues using that cooler with that motherboard or CPU socket.

Seltop

Reputable
Dec 11, 2019
Welp I gtg so Ill give you my specs and leave
cpu: Ryzen 5 2600x
cpu cooler: H100i RGB Platinum SE
motherboard: b450m mortar titanium
ram: VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB
psu: corsiar rm850x
gpu:

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC WHITE Video Card

You have to change the backplate and mounting hardware to use the ones that come in the kit with the CPU cooler, in some cases. You can't use the stock mounting hardware in most installations. READ the instructions, fully, and then WATCH a video or two on installing that cooler on YOUR specific platform/socket (AM4), and THEN try installing the cooler. Note also that on some of these, the actual mounting hardware ON the cooler, has to be changed as well, as seen here. Sometimes the stock bracket on the board stays. Every cooler is different and this, while not the greatest installation video ever, should be sufficient to figure it out. This one is for TR4, the other is for AM4 with a slightly different but mostly the same cooler. Between the two, you should have no problem figuring out where the problem is.

Reactions: Seltop
Are you using the AMD mounting bracket (page 7 of the online manual)?

Not just the AMD mounting bracket, but the CORRECT AMD mounting bracket. TR4 and AM4 are not the same, but both are AMD, as is AM3, which is also a completely different bracket/socket configuration and is likely included as well although the inclusion of AM3 and AM3+ hardware is beginning to get somewhat skinnier. In some cases you might have to specifically request an AM3+ mounting kit these days from the manufacturer but since that doesn't apply to this AM4 installation, it is irrelevant.

What's what? The user manual or the AMD bracket? If you don't know the answer to either of those questions, then you didn't actually read the manual or watch the videos I posted, and that is likely the entire problem from start to finish.

Or, you're simply trolling. There's not much sympathy to be found for anybody who can't be bothered to even read the manual that comes with that hardware, IF that's the case.

A5M3v4I.png

Reactions: herrwizo
Solution
The Spec Omega RGB does not support mounting the radiator in the top, and I would advise against it even if it did. It will need to be mounted in the front, in an INTAKE configuration. This is better anyhow as it affords the radiator the use of outside, cool, ambient air to use instead of trying to use hot air inside the case in an exhaust configuration in the top (less efficient) or as an intake in the top (wrong) anyhow.