Question My CPU ez debug light is on for 4 seconds and my monitor is not displaying anything! Please Help!

Apr 3, 2020
Hey, so recently I was updating my BIOS, during this time my computer powered off. Now I am not getting a display out of my computer. I have dealt with something like this in the bast by clearing the CMOS and and re-flashing the BIOS and that cleared it up. I have looked around for days now trying to fix it but to no avail. If anyone could help me I would be eternally grateful.

my setup is:
MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 2600X
Coarsair Vengeance Lpx 3200mhz 2*8gb
Power Color Red Dragon Radeon RX 590
Corsair Semi-Modular 650watt 80+ bronze
Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim CPU cooler
ADATA 480gb ssd
Western Digital 1TB hdd
Cougar MX330 Case

Last edited:
Hey, so recently I was updating my BIOS, during this time my computer powered off. Now I am not getting a display out of my computer. I have dealt with something like this in the bast by clearing the CMOS and and re-flashing the BIOS and that cleared it up. I have looked around for days now trying to fix it but to no avail. If anyone could help me I would be eternally grateful.

my setup is:
MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 2600X
Coarsair Vengeance Lpx 3200mhz 2*8gb
Power Color Red Dragon Radeon RX 590
Corsair Semi-Modular 650watt 80+ bronze
Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim CPU cooler
ADATA 480gb ssd
Western Digital 1TB hdd
Cougar MX330 Case

Reset CMOS with a battery pull...leave it out a couple minutes with the short on.

If that doesn't do it, then it may have been a bad flash. You're in luck though, you can use the BIOS FlashBack button and flash it to update again.

Apr 3, 2020
Reset CMOS with a battery pull...leave it out a couple minutes with the short on.

If that doesn't do it, then it may have been a bad flash. You're in luck though, you can use the BIOS FlashBack button and flash it to update again.

Hi, I just tried removing the CMOS battery and shorting the 2 pins next to it for a couple minutes. That did not work, so then I tried re-flashing the BIOS, that didn’t work either. Any other ideas?

Hi, I just tried removing the CMOS battery and shorting the 2 pins next to it for a couple minutes. That did not work, so then I tried re-flashing the BIOS, that didn’t work either. Any other ideas?
And to add to the common problems for preparing the USB to FlashBack: be sure the BIOS file is renamed correctly, located in the ROOT folder and extracted from the distribution archive. Also try different USB sticks, formatted as he says, as it seems to dislike some.

And be patient. It can take some time to complete the process.

Apr 3, 2020
Try again... as reported by other users BIOS Flashback doesn't always work from the first try.

This is your only option to recover.

Clear CMOS again and follow these steps:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cgcpc9/msi_flashback_guide/

Hello again, I tried flashing the BIOS maybe 10 times by now following those steps to the t. My screen is still coming up blank and my ez debug CPU lights is still on for around 4 seconds. Is there anything else I can do other than getting a new board?

Hello again, I tried flashing the BIOS maybe 10 times by now following those steps to the t. My screen is still coming up blank and my ez debug CPU lights is still on for around 4 seconds. Is there anything else I can do other than getting a new board?

When trying to flash did you remove the CPU from the socket first?

You need to remove the CPU and connect the 24 pin ATX for the motherboard and the 8 pin CPU power connector... then flash.

Apr 3, 2020
When trying to flash did you remove the CPU from the socket first?

You need to remove the CPU and connect the 24 pin ATX for the motherboard and the 8 pin CPU power connector... then flash.

Multiple sources stated that removing the CPU was not necessary for re-flashing. Anyways, I have never done that since I first put it in, would I need more thermal compound or not?

Multiple sources stated that removing the CPU was not necessary for re-flashing. Anyways, I have never done that since I first put it in, would I need more thermal compound or not?

Here...

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=314408.0

There are some people that made it work by removing the CPU.
You'll need to clean off the old thermal paste from the CPU and the cooler and reapply thermal paste(grain of tice in the center).

So, yeah you'll need to have some thermal paste laying around.

Apr 3, 2020
Here...

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=314408.0

There are some people that made it work by removing the CPU.
You'll need to clean off the old thermal paste from the CPU and the cooler and reapply thermal paste(grain of tice in the center).

So, yeah you'll need to have some thermal paste laying around.
I just removed my CPU, flashed, and put the CPU back in, I still have the exact same problem. Is there any hope or am I out of luck?