[SOLVED] my CPU getting hotter after applying new thermal paste!!

Demiurage

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2015
after few a year of usage i decided to reapply new thermal paste for my cpu. i chose to use thermal grizzly kryonaut for the paste. but after i apply it then use it the temp is stuck at 50-56 C at idle while i remember it was 30-40 C before. why is dat happen?
i heard there is no curing time for kryonaut or is that wrong?

Solution
That's about right. Should be thin enough that a hair would be a bump by comparison.

Deepcool Alta-9 is a 65w cooler, basically a factory stock cooler replacement for i3. The i7-2600 is a 95w cpu Before adding turbo and Hyperthreading. Hard usage can see 120w.

Thats like putting go-kart tires on a race car and wondering why it's so slow.

I'd check the pins, just because you heard the 'snap' doesn't mean they are seated right, the 'snap' could also have been one or more breaking. It's old plastic that's seen its fair share of hot/cool cycles. It's a very common occurrence for them to break after several years.

Demiurage

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2015
Nope. No cure time. It's good for 8 years+ no worries.

Only question is did you thoroughly clean off the old stuff from the cpu/cooler base, and are you sure it's properly fastened down.
I cleaned off the old thermal paste thoroughly with cotton and 70% isoprophyl alchol until there are no old paste remain, and i used deepcool alta 9 cooler on my i7- 2600 (non K) and made sure i heard clicked sound on every 4 pins on the cooler... but it still stuck at 50-54 C at idle

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's about right. Should be thin enough that a hair would be a bump by comparison.

Deepcool Alta-9 is a 65w cooler, basically a factory stock cooler replacement for i3. The i7-2600 is a 95w cpu Before adding turbo and Hyperthreading. Hard usage can see 120w.

I'd check the pins, just because you heard the 'snap' doesn't mean they are seated right, the 'snap' could also have been one or more breaking. It's old plastic that's seen its fair share of hot/cool cycles. It's a very common occurrence for them to break after several years.

Solution

Demiurage

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2015

Oww i see, so its not the error of the thermal paste nor my application of the paste it seems, but the cooler that couldnt took the heat off right?

For the pins, ive checkec behind the mobo and all the pins have been pushed through and the cooler is tightly fastened

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then it's not the cooler, (unless there's a fan issue).
Is the fan straight? Not cockeyed or hindered, clean?

It's just wierd it'd be higher, either the OS has changed somehow, or the cooler changed.

Any windows updates happen or any other changes, additions, anything different other than the paste?