[SOLVED] my CPU getting overheat and shut down automatically, i know the specs are little old but i would like to know how to find the cause of overheat

Soola

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
CPU FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0

I am just curious to know how to find the issue.... since this issue is there for a long tim it was managable so far but nowadays it shut down automatically

Last edited:
Solution
Have you tried directing a house fan at the innards with the case covers off?
If that fixes the problem, look to better case cooling.
Your case is barely ok, typical of those from 15 years ago.
The air intake is a single 120mm fan.
I think you can add a second front intake which might help.
You should try to remove one of the drive cages to allow free airflow to the cpu cooler.
Another option is to use a higher rpm front intake.
Typically a 120mm fan runs at say 1200 rpm.
You can buy 3000rpm fans and even higher for much better intake capability.
This will be at the cost of added noise.

I think I would try an air cooler instead of the 120 aio.
A rear radiator may be able to cool the processor ok, but the VRM's of your motherboard...

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Replace the thermal paste. If you have a Bestbuy near you, get a tube of Thermaltake TG-7. Stuff is seriously underrated and if applied appropriately should lower temps quite a bit.

Soola

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Replace the thermal paste. If you have a Bestbuy near you, get a tube of Thermaltake TG-7. Stuff is seriously underrated and if applied appropriately should lower temps quite a bit.
I had applied some thermal paste, but let me try on what you had suggested. Is there any other issues that can raise out of PSU or cooler ?

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
if you recently applied new thermal paste then that is probably not the problem. A failing psu can cause random errors and shutdowns. But if you have a good psu then that probably isnt the problem. Could it be your case fans aren't providing enough airflow? Try taking off the side panel and play a few games with a desk fan blowing onto your computer. If you have no problems then the culprit is your case fans.

Soola

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
if you recently applied new thermal paste then that is probably not the problem. A failing psu can cause random errors and shutdowns. But if you have a good psu then that probably isnt the problem. Could it be your case fans aren't providing enough airflow? Try taking off the side panel and play a few games with a desk fan blowing onto your computer. If you have no problems then the culprit is your case fans.
I tried removing the side panel and the time that takes to over heat and shut down is increased little bit....
My PSU : Cooler Master Thunder 600W is there any possibility in reagard to this model ? or any possibilty for issues with CPU itself ?

Soola

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I tried removing the side panel and the time that takes to over heat and shut down is increased little bit....
My PSU : Cooler Master Thunder 600W is there any possibility in reagard to this model ? or any possibilty for issues with CPU itself ?
I tried installing a game by changing the CPU from 8350 to 4100 it didnt heat but using 8350 while installing itself the system gets over heat

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
It could honestly be a number of things. Cpu heatsink/fan is too weak, bad application of thermal paste, cpu degradation, or psu failing. Start by checking your thermal paste application method. I like to clean my heatsink and the cpu with 99% rubbing alcohol using coffee filters. When it is dry, put s small X in the middle of the cpu's heatspreader. Then tighten down the heat sink/fan.

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
If that does not work, replace the heatsink/fan with something a little nicer. $20 should get you a decent one.

But sadly, depending on how old the fx8350 is and how long it has been overheating, the cpu might have degraded enough to where it is no longer stable. Might be time to look at a cheap build. A Ryzen 2200g build would be a much better gaming rig and it can be done for under $300.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DK7mYT

Soola

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
If that does not work, replace the heatsink/fan with something a little nicer. $20 should get you a decent one.

But sadly, depending on how old the fx8350 is and how long it has been overheating, the cpu might have degraded enough to where it is no longer stable. Might be time to look at a cheap build. A Ryzen 2200g build would be a much better gaming rig and it can be done for under $300.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DK7mYT
I also have Cooler : Seidon 120V Plus .
Should I try with new PSU ? will that make any different with thermal paste, dusting and new PSU with the above mentioned cooler?
Since as of now I am not planning to upgrade and wanna try with the same system for couple of months...
I had this kind of issues from the beginning all long I use system for many minimal time also so far.....

What is your motherboard?
FX-8350 needs a better than average motherboard or the motherboard will, itself overheat.
What is your ambient temperature?
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted well.
What is your case?
What fans do you have and where are they?
Any cpu cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to do it's job.
If you are using a hot graphics card, that compounds the problem.

Unfortunately, the FX line is nearing obsolescence and I would not do any updates that can not be carried forward to a current gen build.

Soola

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
What is your motherboard?
FX-8350 needs a better than average motherboard or the motherboard will, itself overheat.
What is your ambient temperature?
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted well.
What is your case?
What fans do you have and where are they?
Any cpu cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to do it's job.
If you are using a hot graphics card, that compounds the problem.

Unfortunately, the FX line is nearing obsolescence and I would not do any updates that can not be carried forward to a current gen build.
My Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0, is this model of motherboard is apt for this CPU ?.... regular temp is around 40, I havent fixed the cooler as of now i tried using the stock cooler which came with the processor, i have one extra fan in case, I use 1050Ti.....

You have a very good motherboard for fx-8350

Your cooling problem is elsewhere.

What is the make/model your case and fan arrangement?
Ideally, you should have two 120mm front intake fans or better to be able to supply fresh air for any cooler.

The stock cooler is not likely to be sufficient by itself.

The seidon is perhaps as good as a simple air cooler with a 120mm fan.
I would try it. Put the radiator in the rear as an exhaust.
To be effective, you need at the very least a 120mm front intake, and more likely two front intakes.

Soola

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
You have a very good motherboard for fx-8350

Your cooling problem is elsewhere.

What is the make/model your case and fan arrangement?
Ideally, you should have two 120mm front intake fans or better to be able to supply fresh air for any cooler.

The stock cooler is not likely to be sufficient by itself.

The seidon is perhaps as good as a simple air cooler with a 120mm fan.
I would try it. Put the radiator in the rear as an exhaust.
To be effective, you need at the very least a 120mm front intake, and more likely two front intakes.
My case is Cooler master Elite 431 Plus i have one extra 120mm fan.... i would like to clarify one more thing so if the fan is fixed in other way i.e instead of intake if is faced that side the effect of fan is not usefull rit....?

Have you tried directing a house fan at the innards with the case covers off?
If that fixes the problem, look to better case cooling.
Your case is barely ok, typical of those from 15 years ago.
The air intake is a single 120mm fan.
I think you can add a second front intake which might help.
You should try to remove one of the drive cages to allow free airflow to the cpu cooler.
Another option is to use a higher rpm front intake.
Typically a 120mm fan runs at say 1200 rpm.
You can buy 3000rpm fans and even higher for much better intake capability.
This will be at the cost of added noise.

I think I would try an air cooler instead of the 120 aio.
A rear radiator may be able to cool the processor ok, but the VRM's of your motherboard need good cooling.
An air cooler will do that much better.
The cm hyper121 is popular and cheap. But, I can tell you from personal experience that it is difficult to install properly.
There are better options. Scythe comes to mind. The very best might be the noctua NH-D15s at $80 or so.

I would not spend anything extra on a FX build unless it could be carried forward to a new build later.

Have you overclocked? If so, that generates lots of heat.

Since your experiment with setting up as a 4 thread 4100 fixed the problem, you could try setting up as a 6 thread 6300.

Your games may not be able to take good advantage of many threads.
Try this experiment to find out:

You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Solution

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
I had this issue long time ago and
CPU FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0

I am just curious to know how to find the issue.... since this issue is there for a long tim it was managable so far but nowadays it shut down automatically
I fixed this kind of issue in past by reseating the CPU cooler. And if you think you can't get it right then go to a shop and ask them to put it on it to make sure if the heatsink has good contact with CPU. In my case the computer restarted when it tried to boot and I was stuck in a loop.