Question my cpu ghz goes really high while i have set them to 3200

Mar 4, 2019
i have an ryzen 7 2700 non x and asus prime pro x470 mobo my cpu was ok nothing weird or smth and then i change my case and added some fans a lot of fans in the case i formated the disks and clean install windows i downloaded amds drivers and then my cpu started going 4ghz while all setting on amds software was set to auto and the ghz was set to 3200 and to be more specific its runs ok on 3200 fans are low everyhing alright and then sometimes even while idle my cpu goes 4ghz and fans going crazy temperatures are always good between 27 and 40

verdy_p

Reputable
May 28, 2014
modern multicore CPUs (both AMD or Intel) can go above the normal frequency when some cores are idle. This is adaptive behavior because the CPU is monitoring the power usage: if power usage is low and temperature is low, the frequency can be increased a bit to let some cores go at higher frequency.
The frequency will return to standard when all cores are active (there are threads running and not waiting for completion of an external I/O or interrupt).

There are tools that display not just the maixmum frequency, but the frequency of individual cores and you can also see that in Windows Task Manager your CPU is not used at 100%: is a single thread is busy at 100% on an 8-core CPU, the total CPU usage is about 15%, power consumption is still low, and the single thread can be boosted to run at higher frequency.

PBO is for AMD processors. For Intel, this kind of boosting is named "SpeedStep" (it acts not only on frequency but also voltage, plus transition of power modes, and insertion of wait cycles in case of spike of temperature or other abnormal conditions, such as difficulty to synchronize/coordinate bus transfers and priorities or acknowledging the transfers, or detection of bus transfer errors, or unexpected timeouts requiring frequent resets and resynchronizations).

Some mobos also allow doing the same for the bus bridges, caches, RAM, or various other devices; display boards have similar tuning (in their drivers) for their GPU shaders, their GDDR RAM controler, using their own thermal and power monitors.

Real "overclocking" occurs when you start running the CPU with higher power than normal specs (and is allowed on some series of non-mobile processors, provided you use above-standard cooling systems and power sources and some custom software tool running to monitor power and temperature more agressively with complex dynamic tuning rules). Normal conditions use monotoring at much lower rate with more tolerance in delays for adapting rates and voltage, using much simpler rules.

Last edited:
Speed step has nothing to do with boost. Speed step DOWN CLOCKS the CPU, for power savings, it does not increase the CPU frequency for boost performance. The same applies to Speed shift, but it has a somewhat different implementation.

You are confusing two different features of the Intel architecture.