[SOLVED] my CPU goes down from 4000mHz to 2600MhZ when I m gaming

Mar 9, 2022
Hi, i have an acer nitro 5 laptop with i5 9300h and 1660 ti, i undervolted the CPU with -150mV in throttlestop and configured it to run turbo boost at all times but sometimes when i m gaming the processor quicly decrease to 2600mHz (base clock speed i think) then goes up to 4000mHz and i don't know the cause, maybe it s power throtlling or thermal ( I m not so sure bcs it only reaches 89 C, some time ago when it reached 95 C it didn t do a thing)

Solution
here s my log
The log file shows two types of throttling; PL2 power limit throttling and EDP Electrical Design Point throttling.

The 9300H has a 45W TDP rating from Intel. The PL2 throttling in the log file is right at 45W. This is typical of Acer laptops. Setting the MSR and MMIO turbo power limits sky high does not fix this problem. There is a third set of turbo power limits managed internally by an EC. This is what sends the 45W limit to the CPU and there is no easy way around this limit.

There are a couple of things you can try to fix the EDP throttling issue. This is typically current limit related. In the FIVR window set IccMax for both the CPU Core and the CPU Cache to the maximum, 255.75. In the TPL window, set Power...
Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option and play a game for at least 10 minutes. When done testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file. Copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com so I can have a look.

Power limit throttling in laptops is common. It should not be dropping down to 2600 MHz though. Upload some screenshots to imgur.

The in game MHz that Afterburner shows is not 100% accurate so I hope you are not using that data to determine anything.

here s my log
The log file shows two types of throttling; PL2 power limit throttling and EDP Electrical Design Point throttling.

The 9300H has a 45W TDP rating from Intel. The PL2 throttling in the log file is right at 45W. This is typical of Acer laptops. Setting the MSR and MMIO turbo power limits sky high does not fix this problem. There is a third set of turbo power limits managed internally by an EC. This is what sends the 45W limit to the CPU and there is no easy way around this limit.

There are a couple of things you can try to fix the EDP throttling issue. This is typically current limit related. In the FIVR window set IccMax for both the CPU Core and the CPU Cache to the maximum, 255.75. In the TPL window, set Power Limit 4 to a value of 0. If this does not fix the EDP throttling issue you can also try setting Power Limit 4 to the max which is 1023. A value of 0 usually tells the CPU to ignore this limit.

The Other part of EDP Other throttling is not well documented. It is possible that there is another current limit within the processor that Acer has access to but ThrottleStop does not. Try the above suggestions and see if there is any improvement.

i was using afterburner
My apologies to Afterburner. In this situation, when EDP throttling strikes, your CPU really is slowing down to 2600 MHz. This type of throttling is excessive and unnecessary if a laptop is properly designed.

Solution
Mar 9, 2022
it's still doing it, i think there s nothing i can do... at least it doesn t do it very often.

thanks for the help, now i know that the issue is from acer and not from me at least

Mar 9, 2022
i have a question tho, isn t there any way to bypass this settings from bios? i tried to see if there s any option but it s not showing anything, maybe with a BIOS update?

BIOS update?
I would be afraid to do a BIOS update because the new BIOS versions usually disable CPU voltage control. This might make things worse. A laptop BIOS will rarely include any useful features to disable throttling.

Try reducing the turbo ratios a little bit at a time and then do some more testing and watch the log file for EDP throttling. A little less CPU speed and power consumption might help you avoid EDP throttling. You could also try lowering the PL1 and PL2 power limits to 40W or less to avoid whatever is triggering EDP throttling.

Last edited: