[SOLVED] My CPU (i7 4790) is running hot (up to 99 C under load) and I need some help

Feb 15, 2019
So I recently upgraded my PC's cooler (to a MasterCooler ML240R) along with some case fans and a new case. Unfortunately I never paid much attention to my temps before the change however I can tell you that my fans were not having to run nearly as fast/loudly as they are right now. My idle temps range from 45 - 55 C and with just youtube running the temps sometimes hit 60s. The temp on start up climbs to 80s sometimes 90s and then after a few minutes it goes back down to 50s. My guess is of course something to do with the new cooler. I've changed out thermal paste so many times over the last few years I don't see how I would have messed that up. ARK survival evolved is what is worrying me. In ARK the temps will stay at around 95C with the fans running at 2500 rmp. I'm wondering if my cooler is faulty but I hear the liquid moving so. Also, at 30% usage on CPU temps are hitting 80s and at 50% its in the 90s. Other posts always talk about its because of having a stock cooler but this is not a stock cooler!

SPECS:

GPU: gtx 1080

MotherBoard: MSI krait

CPU: i7 4790

Windows 10 64 bit

Last edited:
Solution
OK! Finally I have resolved this issue. I am posting this in case this helps anyone that is experiencing similar issues as I was.
I believe that I accidentally used old thermal paste that my dad had for 15+ years instead of my newer paste. Upon removing the cooler pump from the cpu, I noticed that the paste looked burnt/discolored in some areas. First time I've seen that before. Regardless, I ordered new ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition paste, removed old paste, and put the new paste on the cpu. Problem more than fixed. Temps idling between 25 and 35 degrees and under load it sits at around 65.

Generally if you are experiencing High temperatures with a liquid cooler:
  1. FIRST check the paste and that the plate is seated flatly on the...
Feb 15, 2019
Yes, I installed the cooler. I have installed atleast 4 coolers prior to this one which is why I don't believe that it is seated incorrectly. Unfortunately, I cant remove it and check until I get more thermal paste (in a few days). The pump is connected to my CPUFAN1. I have the fans connected to CPUFAN2. I believe the pump to possibly be faulty because when the cpu is running at 95C and I feel the air coming out of the radiator, it is room temp. I'm not an expert though.

Pumps generally deteriorate over time, contaminants, hard water deposits, or outright pump failure...;if air from radiator is room temp, it is likely no warm water is flowing thru it..... :)

If your case has room for a 168 mm tall sink/fan, Noctua's NH-D15 generally outperforms most AIOs and costs less than most....and is whisper quiet.

Crossvxm

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Yes, I installed the cooler. I have installed atleast 4 coolers prior to this one which is why I don't believe that it is seated incorrectly. Unfortunately, I cant remove it and check until I get more thermal paste (in a few days). The pump is connected to my CPUFAN1. I have the fans connected to CPUFAN2. I believe the pump to possibly be faulty because when the cpu is running at 95C and I feel the air coming out of the radiator, it is room temp. I'm not an expert though.

Is this a new cooler? I believe the reason Maverick was asking about the header connection is because there are times connecting AIO liquid coolers to certain headers on some motherboards gives a false reading. This has happened to me ESPECIALLY with the Corsair H100i V2. I believe it is when you connect both of the fans to the CPU fan headers. Try connecting the fans to standard headers on the motherboard elsewhere (if you have case fans connected to these, temporarily disconnect them) and check if the temps run better. Also check the pump connection. If the pump sounds fine (you should be able to slightly hear it, sounds a bit like something feintly buzzing) and you can feel it circulating water (do the tubes have a vibration not caused by your case or radiator fans), then the pump is most likely fine. I cannot recall the manufacturer of a board I had, but having both fans connected to CPU 1 and CPU 2 headers caused this issue. I would touch where the tubes end at the CPU and it would not feel hot at all, same for the radiator. If the section that touches the CPU does feel hot, then it is 100% a bad pump or bad contact with the CPU.

Feb 15, 2019
Is this a new cooler? I believe the reason Maverick was asking about the header connection is because there are times connecting AIO liquid coolers to certain headers on some motherboards gives a false reading. This has happened to me ESPECIALLY with the Corsair H100i V2. I believe it is when you connect both of the fans to the CPU fan headers. Try connecting the fans to standard headers on the motherboard elsewhere (if you have case fans connected to these, temporarily disconnect them) and check if the temps run better. Also check the pump connection. If the pump sounds fine (you should be able to slightly hear it, sounds a bit like something feintly buzzing) and you can feel it circulating water (do the tubes have a vibration not caused by your case or radiator fans), then the pump is most likely fine. I cannot recall the manufacturer of a board I had, but having both fans connected to CPU 1 and CPU 2 headers caused this issue. I would touch where the tubes end at the CPU and it would not feel hot at all, same for the radiator. If the section that touches the CPU does feel hot, then it is 100% a bad pump or bad contact with the CPU.
Yes, this is a new cooler that I received for Christmas no more than three months ago. I changed one cpu fan the the standard fan header and it actually helped a bit. When I run Warthunder it sits at 75C and if i do that and watch netflix it is at 85C. AND I can feel that kind of heat near the cpu, however I still feel like this is running too hot. In task manager, if 50% or more of my cpu is being used, it is in the 90s. Is this normal? I can hear and feel the liquid moving through the tubes but the air coming out the radiator is still cold...

Last edited:

Cioby

Distinguished
Touch the back of your motherboard very gentle and quick and see if your CPU is really that hot. It may just be a bad sensor or your PC is sending you the wrong info.

Besides that, see if you pinned down the cooler properly. All pins going through the back, and the heatsink is 100% on the CPU. And since you did this before I assume you didn't put too much paste.

Feb 15, 2019
Touch the back of your motherboard very gentle and quick and see if your CPU is really that hot. It may just be a bad sensor or your PC is sending you the wrong info.

Besides that, see if you pinned down the cooler properly. All pins going through the back, and the heatsink is 100% on the CPU. And since you did this before I assume you didn't put too much paste.
Ok actually, it seems that changing the cpu fan headers to the standard fan headers helped a little. Now my temp is at 75ish in Warthunder and 85 when running warthunder and netflix. Now I do believe this is accurate as the pump and area around the cpu felt warm/hot, but the air coming out of the radiator is still cold... I still feel like this is high for an AIO cooler though, am I wrong? And if I attempt to run ARK survival evolved im back up to 95-100C. I do plan on removing the pump putting a different thermal paste on and making sure it is on 100% but I need to what until the thermal paste comes in.

EDIT: I notice that my temps are in the 75s when my cpu usage is between 15 and 20% and if I get to 40% or higher it goes into the 90s. Is this normal? I would think that even at 50% it shouldn't be getting this hot..

Cioby

Distinguished
Ok actually, it seems that changing the cpu fan headers to the standard fan headers helped a little. Now my temp is at 75ish in Warthunder and 85 when running warthunder and netflix. Now I do believe this is accurate as the pump and area around the cpu felt warm/hot, but the air coming out of the radiator is still cold... I still feel like this is high for an AIO cooler though, am I wrong? And if I attempt to run ARK survival evolved im back up to 95-100C. I do plan on removing the pump putting a different thermal paste on and making sure it is on 100% but I need to what until the thermal paste comes in.
It is super high unless you are overclocking for like +2 Ghz or something like that. Something is wrong with your cooler and I am not an expert in watercooling. Maybe the water isn't circulating.

Feb 15, 2019
It is super high unless you are overclocking for like +2 Ghz or something like that. Something is wrong with your cooler and I am not an expert in watercooling. Maybe the water isn't circulating.
No overclock. I'm likely going to return this and hope that this is just a faulty cooler. Thanks for the help.

Feb 15, 2019
Touch the 2 tubings near the cpu. Intake should be colder than exhaust. If you can't feel difference then either the pump is dead or there are air bubbles within the circuit. I would return the cooler.
No difference that I can tell. I'm going to call up Master Cooler and hope that they will take it back. Thanks for the help

Feb 15, 2019
OK! Finally I have resolved this issue. I am posting this in case this helps anyone that is experiencing similar issues as I was.
I believe that I accidentally used old thermal paste that my dad had for 15+ years instead of my newer paste. Upon removing the cooler pump from the cpu, I noticed that the paste looked burnt/discolored in some areas. First time I've seen that before. Regardless, I ordered new ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition paste, removed old paste, and put the new paste on the cpu. Problem more than fixed. Temps idling between 25 and 35 degrees and under load it sits at around 65.

Generally if you are experiencing High temperatures with a liquid cooler:
  1. FIRST check the paste and that the plate is seated flatly on the cpu. (Also, remember to take off any clear film off of the plate if you have a new cooler.) 90% of the time this is the problem.
  2. check that your fans and pumps are working properly.
  3. make sure fan and pump headers are connected properly
  4. Consider that the cooler is faulty (VERY unlikely from my experience so BE sure you go through previous steps thoroughly!)

To those that helped me from this forum, thank you guys so much!

Solution