Question My cpu is a i7-8700k and I want to know whats the average temperature while gaming.

May 18, 2019
While playing Rainbow Six Siege, my CPU went as high as 98 degrees Celsius, and while it's on idle it goes as high as 59 Celsius. I was wondering if it's normal to for a cpu to go that high while under load.

May 18, 2019
nope, you don't want it to go over 80c so clearly you need to do something about your cooling. I'd start by reseating heatsink and fan and reapply thermal grease.
I've applied the thermal paste by using the cooler master maker, but I'm not sure if I am able to reseat my heatsink since I'm using a stock Intel heatsink which clips into the motherboard instead of screwing. I'm assuming the best possible way to fix my temp. solution is to buy a new heatsink, yes?

Reactions: davew1860

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I've applied the thermal paste by using the cooler master maker, but I'm not sure if I am able to reseat my heatsink since I'm using a stock Intel heatsink which clips into the motherboard instead of screwing. I'm assuming the best possible way to fix my temp. solution is to buy a new heatsink, yes?
For the love of God throw that POS stock Intel cooler in the garbage and put a quality cooler on that chip before you degrade it. That stock cooler is hardly adequate for an 8100. The 2 main considerations for a CPU cooler are thermal performance and noise. The stock Intel coolers are an epic fail on both fronts.

Reactions: davew1860

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
Yeah, your temperatures are way too high.

Get an aftermarket CPU cooler ASAP. Make sure to apply an adequate amount of thermal paste to it, too.

Also consider additional case fans if the above suggestion doesn't lower your full load temperature below 80 C.

Reactions: rigg42
May 18, 2019
For the love of God throw that POS stock Intel cooler in the garbage and put a quality cooler on that chip before you degrade it. That stock cooler is hardly adequate for an 8100. The 2 main considerations for a CPU cooler are thermal performance and noise. The stock Intel coolers are an epic fail on both fronts.
Just bought a cooler master hyper h411R hopefully its good enough.