[SOLVED] My cpu is at 100 while gaming

Drip Major

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
Hi, I know something about computers but I have this issue and it is bothering me alot. I have an RX 580 GTS xxx Edition 8gb GPU with 16gb RAM and my CPU is AMD ryzen 3 2200g. this is a good match acording to the internet and the bottleneck calculator show it has a slight BN but my CPU is at 100 in almost every game and espacially while other tabs are open. for example while im playing gta 5 my gpu is at 50-60% while my cpu is at 95-100%. trying to turn down graphics doesnt help wich makes sense because that can also drain CPU usage. I have watch several perfomance videos of my card and cpu and they are all getting more frames than me. I have tried to overclock my cpu slightly and even typed in commands in cmd to try and balance cpu and gpu but have not seen any of them working. in games like csgo my fps is not steady going from 55 to 60fps causing stutters. my friend had the cpu before me and he got much better frames aswell. is there anything I can do other than bying a new cpu? is it something else?

ps: sorry for the long text and my bad writing (norwegian).

Solution
A 4 core/4 thread CPU is going to hold back that GPU quite a lot. Also, I'm sure since its 4 sticks of RAM they're operating at slow speeds which hurts performance.

What's the RAM speed?

Drip Major

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
A 4 core/4 thread CPU is going to hold back that GPU quite a lot. Also, I'm sure since its 4 sticks of RAM they're operating at slow speeds which hurts performance.

What's the RAM speed?

I went into bios when I built my computer and changed the RAM speed from automatic to profil 1 for best perfomance. if I remember correctly the speed on profil 1 was at 3100-3600mhz. my cpu does have 4 cores and 4 threads so. did not know this had anything to do with the issue so thanks!

do you think it would help if I took out two of the ram sticks? would the other sticks work more effiencent since im only using about 6gb ram when gaming high end games

Last edited:

Drip Major

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
4 thread CPU’s are the bare minimum for games in recent years, it’s not surprising it’s run at or near max.

What resolution are you running?

Also don’t use those bottleneck calculators, they are complete misleading garbage.
i've realized my cpu is just not a great combo for my gpu or 16gb of ram. I just thought it was another problem since I had my faith in those bottleneck calculators. thanks for the help. love communities like this:love: