Deft_Hombre

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Well basically I want to call in a warranty. I have a Q6600 that was clocked at 3.0ghz and now back at 2.4. I use a third party cooler (Tuniq Tower) which is supposed to be able to cool CPUs at OCs that high. Anyway, my CPU seemed to have never really heated up as temperatures would go between 40-60c. However, my computer would constantly crash. The crashes increased in frequency until to the point that I could get a crash every 20 minutes or so of even idle use. So anyway I reverted my clock speed back to 2.4 and everything seems to be fine now.

However, my CPU seems to be permanently damaged, as CPU intensive events would cause extreme choppiness. Game cut scenes, scrolling around a map in an RTS, certain particle effects, would all cause choppiness. Even out of game activities such as streaming Youtube videos, would be choppy. I would pause my Youtube video and the CPU monitor would say 0-1% activity. I would play it then it would say 30% activity and then it would be choppy. I also tried dragging a window over another window really fast and the window that's being dragged would leave a series of shadow trails (don't know how to describe it), and the CPU monitor would jump to 35% activity.

I tried Memtest 86+ to see if it wasn't just the RAM, and I passed 15 tests with 0 errors. I reformatted my computer, with a brand new OS, Windows XP SP3 and the same problems persist. What can I do? Is it really just my CPU or is there anything else I can try?

P.S. How can I input system info into my profile?

It is probably not the CPU. You may have a problem with your motherboard, or you may have a problem with your system configuration, but your CPU is probably OK.

Next, A 3.0 GHz. OC of a Q6600 is not that high. You should be able to reach that with no or very little increase in core voltage.

Need full system specs. Especially what kind of motherboard and memory.

First reset your motherboard to factory default configuration. Reload your operating system. Install either CoreTemp or RealTemp to monitor temperatures. Install Prime95. Run P95 to monitor idle and load temps. With stock configuration, P95 should run stably.

Install 3DMark06 to test the graphics.

These two programs will test a fair amount of the CPU.

RavenXE

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
there's also Intel Burn Test Version 2.0, it uses linpack from intel to push any cpus to it's limits. very effective in 64bits Operating systems.

if you have a faulty component this will propably finish it has it did for me and 16 gig of RMA'ed corsair dominator memory :pt1cable: